What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (3 Viewers)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I watched Yellowstone first season when it first aired. I've since stopped watching it because most of the main characters are despicable people.

Agree with that.

I started S1 a couple years ago but got to a point of not liking anyone on this show.
Forgot about it and never picked it back up. Not sure where i stopped, peacock didn’t save my progress.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched Yellowstone first season when it first aired. I've since stopped watching it because most of the main characters are despicable people.
My wife has been watching it, but I have not seen any episodes. I can understand your reasoning, though. as there have been series in the past where I stopped watching because I disliked all the characters.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There's no way to lock in the current (still lower) annual rate for another extra year (as extension) before one's already existing annual subscription expires in a few months, right? :P I'd like to do that if possible, haha... :D

_Man_

Not that I’ve found, as I was looking into my renewal options with the end of the three year plan.

I renewed for the next year at the current price right at the end i of the three year (Nov 8) to get the current price.

But a year from now…? Maybe it will be worth changing my phone plan to get D+ included to save the buck or two.
There have been rumors ever since Iger resumed the position of CEO that many of the company-wide price hikes that predecessor Chapek instituted might be reversed.

Maybe I'll just cancel and stay off D+ for a few months or something before resubscribing later in the year. Maybe they'll indeed reverse course by then, but IF not, I'd save enough to effectively reduce the cost back to previous level for the rest of each year I guess. Don't think we actually use D+ quite that often anyway -- I certainly don't. And they may start cutting back on "must see" shows before long to deserve continuous, year-round subscription...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Maybe I'll just cancel and stay off D+ for a few months or something before resubscribing later in the year. Maybe they'll indeed reverse course by then, but IF not, I'd save enough to effectively reduce the cost back to previous level for the rest of each year I guess. Don't think we actually use D+ quite that often anyway -- I certainly don't. And they may start cutting back on "must see" shows before long to deserve continuous, year-round subscription...

_Man_
Subscriber growth is high for D+. But stock market value is down , there’s a “got to start making profits” attitude now, and Iger has replaced Chapek.

Prices aren’t going down.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Nearly 1 in 4 current subscribers are expected to downgrade to lower tier with commercials when that tier launches this week.

Starting Thursday, the price of Disney+ as a stand-alone will rise to $10.99 a month as the new ad-supported plan kicks in at $7.99. Prices of Disney+ as well as Hulu and ESPN+ will all continue to be discounted via the Disney Bundle.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was going to cancel and only resubscribe on an as-needed basis, but my AMEX card was offering a deal on the bundle, with a twist. I get Disney+ (no ads) + Hulu (ads) + ESPN (ads) for $13.99 a month with a $7.99 per month statement credit, bringing the total monthly cost down to $6. I could really care less about Hulu and ESPN, especially with ads, but getting ad-free D+ for two bucks less per month than before the increase? I bit. All I need to do is pay my bill with the AMEX account.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was going to cancel and only resubscribe on an as-needed basis, but my AMEX card was offering a deal on the bundle, with a twist. I get Disney+ (no ads) + Hulu (ads) + ESPN (ads) for $13.99 a month with a $7.99 per month statement credit, bringing the total monthly cost down to $6. I could really care less about Hulu and ESPN, especially with ads, but getting ad-free D+ for two bucks less per month than before the increase? I bit. All I need to do is pay my bill with the AMEX account.

I was hoping that an AMEX offer for Disney+ would appear, but I just checked and there's nothing available for my particular card (Delta Sky Miles gold card). Bummer. I've taken advantage of quite a few of their offers lately, too, including a nice deal for a year of HBOMax.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I've had an excellent Amex offer for 6 months that basically made D+ free on monthly basis, but completely wasted since I was already locked into an annual subscription the entire time, LOL. Hopefully, they're make another good offer before too long after my current annual subscription ends next Feb...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Nearly 1 in 4 current subscribers are expected to downgrade to lower tier with commercials when that tier launches this week.

Starting Thursday, the price of Disney+ as a stand-alone will rise to $10.99 a month as the new ad-supported plan kicks in at $7.99. Prices of Disney+ as well as Hulu and ESPN+ will all continue to be discounted via the Disney Bundle.

Ad-supported tier not available on Roku.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
For those who can take advantage:

Note that the headlines says Marvel movies, but it also mentions Lightyear as an IMAX-enhanced film.
From the article:
Disney+ is the first major streaming service to adopt the Imax Enhanced formats.
FandangoNow offered movies in IMAX-Enhanced until the service was merged with Vudu, and Sony's BRAVIA CORE service offers many of the studio's movies in that format.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
FandangoNow offered movies in IMAX-Enhanced until the service was merged with Vudu, and Sony's BRAVIA CORE service offers many of the studio's movies in that format.

I suppose the use of the word "major" allows the article to say "first"? Depending on what is meant by "major."

Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max would exist in my definition of "major", and a case could be made for Peacock and Paramount+. The next tier would include Hulu, Apple, etc.?

(Similar to how "major" Hollywood studios are considered to be Disney, Warner, Universal, Paramount, and Sony.)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I suppose the use of the word "major" allows the article to say "first"? Depending on what is meant by "major."

Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max would exist in my definition of "major", and a case could be made for Peacock and Paramount+. The next tier would include Hulu, Apple, etc.?

(Similar to how "major" Hollywood studios are considered to be Disney, Warner, Universal, Paramount, and Sony.)
The more correct phrasing would be "first major subscription streaming service" or SVOD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The company, he said, was “probably too aggressive” in marketing its streaming services, [Bob Iger] said, though gaining subscribers will remain a priority in the future, so long as they are “quality subs,” which he defined as more loyal ones who may be more amenable to price hikes.
They only want "quality" subscribers, so the riff-raff need not bother to subscribe. And those that cannot live without D+ should be prepared to pay more and more for the amazing privilege.

Just turning into another theme park where only the affluent can afford to play.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Just a heads up that the new restoration of Cinderella is now on Disney+, albeit in 1080p (unless Disney forgot to update the details section of its page). Just finished watching it and all I can say is… Wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks