What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I want to really, really,see what the Disney deal is. When it comes out.
I see all kinds of build up and how good it will be. And the price & all.
BUT! I'm looking for a punch line to come up at the last min.
Saying. O by the way. You must have this & this & that to get the service.
Are. It will have. After 30 day's the price will be?
I think the price is just a bit to good to be true?
Hope I'm wrong.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
They can't do anything to my price since I've already paid for 3 years.

Prices always go up, for all services. I don't know why people are so hung up over that. In the future, if it becomes to expensive for one's taste, just cancel. Why worry about tomorrow's price when you can take advantage of today's?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Prices always go up, for all services. I don't know why people are so hung up over that. In the future, if it becomes to expensive for one's taste, just cancel. Why worry about tomorrow's price when you can take advantage of today's?
Exactly, lock in the pricing the best you can and if they raise the pricing later on then you can make the decision to cancel or not, based on actual experience with Disney+ and whatever the current pricing will be at that time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Where do these crazy conspiracies come from? :blink:

It’s a streaming service like Netflix. It doesn’t need “this and this and this”. It needs one of any number of streaming gadgets that have been sold for years.
And the pricing will be $7 a month for the first year or three. And then prices will go up or down based on customer demand and competition.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And also based on what comes and goes. One wonders whether they will still keep the "Disney Vault" alive by making certain titles available for a limited time.

Also, the 1980s Pooh and Chip 'n' Dale cartoons have been remastered in HD, so who knows whether those transfers are what they'll get.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I agree. I locked in for three years at less than $4 per month. When that term is up, I will evaluate whether I want to renew at whatever price is offered at that time.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
And also based on what comes and goes. One wonders whether they will still keep the "Disney Vault" alive by making certain titles available for a limited time.

Also, the 1980s Pooh and Chip 'n' Dale cartoons have been remastered in HD, so who knows whether those transfers are what they'll get.

I'm pretty sure Disney already announced that the vault would be no more, things will not "come and go" on the service. I know I read that somewhere in the last month or so.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Could easily be both -- technically their VAULT only affected 14 base titles for the most part (a few extras counting the paired sequels). It would be pretty easy fhem to leave those 14 up all teh time, but Rotate other things on and off. "It's not a vault, it's a cyclical rotation".

Disney is very good at parsing language -- letter vs spirit of the law

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Just looking over the list of day one content again. Interesting that the first 2 Narnia movies are on the list but not the 3rd. Disney would have acquired it in the Fox deal.

The more I look at this list the more fishy it seems. There are some movies on the list that we know will not be available on the service in the US until next year. Like, Solo and The Last Jedi, which are both still licensed to Netflix until mid 2020.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I saw mentioned on CNBC that Disney+ may not be available on Amazon Fire TV at launch. It will be available on most other providers such as ROKU. It will probably be added eventually. Disney Amazon fight

From The Wall Street Journal

Amazon.com Inc. AMZN +0.71% and Walt Disney Co. DIS +1.19% are at loggerheads over terms for carrying the entertainment giant’s apps in Amazon’s Fire TV devices, a dispute that highlights the new power struggles emerging in the streaming economy.

Amazon is pushing for the right to sell a substantial percentage of the ad space on Disney apps, and Disney has so far resisted, according to people familiar with the situation. Some of these people say they are optimistic the companies will reach an agreement. If they don’t, Disney apps could be removed from Fire TV, the second-largest distributor of streaming TV apps. Disney has several apps, including for networks such as ABC, ESPN and Disney Channel.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
Which company, Disney or Amazon, do you think has the stronger negotiation position here? Why? Join the conversation below.

The dispute is one reason Fire TV has no deal in place to carry Disney+, a coming Disney streaming-video service set to launch Nov. 12, the people familiar with the situation said. The deadline for the talks wasn’t clear.

Amazon’s Fire TV is an internet-connected streaming-media player that lets users stream content to their television sets from a range of apps, including Amazon’s own Prime Video, Netflix Inc., Sling TV and offerings from a host of TV networks. It had 29% of the U.S. market for streaming-media boxes in the second quarter, according to Strategy Analytics, behind only rival Roku Inc.

The dispute highlights the complicated and sometimes tense relationships between streaming-video distributors and content providers. Fire TV, Roku and other companies offering such set-top boxes or plug-in “sticks” have become vital hubs for reaching consumers who stream media, and are increasingly playing the role cable companies have played in traditional television.

For years, cable providers have worked out arrangements with TV channels to carry those networks. The channels get a portion of consumers’ monthly cable fees, and the cable providers often get access to a portion of the ad time on the networks. Likewise, the new-era streaming distributors have their own requests when they negotiate carriage of streaming apps, such as a portion of the content company’s advertising or subscription revenue.

One big difference: Cable operators in the U.S. each cover a specific geographic footprint, and TV programmers must negotiate with each of them, under the threat that if a deal isn’t reached channels could be blacked out in those areas. In streaming, channels can distribute their programming nationwide through a number of set-top box players, and new entrants recently joined the fray, including Comcast Corp. ’s Flex and a Facebook Inc. device called Portal.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
Which company, Disney or Amazon, do you think has the stronger negotiation position here? Why? Join the conversation below.

Disney in a landslide
, Amazon doesn't have a replacement for Disney content, Disney has tons of easy/cheap options to bypass Amazon.
Disney customers are going to get Disney and aren't going to think twice about poor Amazon being left out. I have no loyalty to my fork, I have a ton of loyalty to my favorite foods. My Ice Cream doesn't care what bowl or cup it's served it, it tastes just as good, but a favorite bowl with dry bean husks will be discarded.

The devices are cheap enough the it's easy to add or replace a Fire. For folks that don't have any device -- FIre vs Roku, oh this one has Disney and the other doesn't so guess which 90% of the people are going to buy. Amazon in a lose/lose more situation.

At least with the Disc War - Amazon isn't really losing much since it accounts for such a tiny amt of money. Losing not only the Disney stream option, but a significant amt of Fire Sales will be felt.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Just looking over the list of day one content again. Interesting that the first 2 Narnia movies are on the list but not the 3rd. Disney would have acquired it in the Fox deal.

I chalk that up to it taking time to consolidate all of the pieces of the acquisition.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’d love to get NF again but at those prices it’s never going to happen.

I wonder if NF will counter with their own plan that you pay for multiple years in advance.
That probably wouldn’t get me to buy in either though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks