What's new

Disney+ Disney+ Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Then your panel, app or playback device is misconfigured, more than likely.
You might be right. But I'm not talking about clarity so much. I'm talking dynamic range. If you guys are seeing comparable dynamic range on 4K streaming compared to 4K disc, then I need to find a way into your world. Because the dynamic range I'm getting is not comparable.

And as downloaded files go, isn't a file inviolate? That is, either I get a clone of the original uploaded file or I get nothing that will play? I don't see how I could be getting a degraded or partial download that works. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I don't see how.

I also realize that not all formats of the same movie are mastered equally as well. But I believe I am correct when I say a recent 4K has to be more compressed for streaming than for disc. And from my point of view, with my equipment, and my eyeballs, that's when the dynamic range suffers. And I see the same discrepancy at 1080, though in a lesser way.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I don’t see how Disney can make as much money as they normally do from this though- even keeping digital as the only viewing option, it costs $4-6 each to rent their movies on Vudu. Most can be purchased between $13-25. If they charge $7 per month for all you can watch, that’s what the industry calls “devaluing your product” which is one thing Disney has been the most reluctant to do. Remember their first line of classic movies on DVD, first announced at $34.95 each and then RAISED to $39.99?

Because just because you charge $13-$25 for a digital sale doesn't mean people are going to buy it, and by and large they aren't. I don't have the numbers in front of me but when you compare subscriptions to sales it isn't even close to what people want to spend their money on.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t see how Disney can make as much money as they normally do from this though- even keeping digital as the only viewing option, it costs $4-6 each to rent their movies on Vudu. Most can be purchased between $13-25. If they charge $7 per month for all you can watch, that’s what the industry calls “devaluing your product” which is one thing Disney has been the most reluctant to do. Remember their first line of classic movies on DVD, first announced at $34.95 each and then RAISED to $39.99?

Here's the thing, though - I think Disney understands very well that the perceived value of content, in general, is going down across the board. We see it in declining physical media sales, we see it in declining theatrical attendance, we see it in the number of subscription service users who share passwords, we see it in the how ubiquitous hacked streaming devices are, we see it in the high volume of internet traffic that's dedicated to illegal filesharing. I genuinely believe that the biggest hurdle any and all content producers face in 2019 and beyond is not simply getting people to consume your content, but rather, getting people to pay for the content they're already consuming. I'm sure many of us know people who choose to BitTorrent content rather than paying for it. I'm sure many of us know people who will trade their Netflix password for your HBO password. I'm sure many of us know people who spent $50 for a hacked Amazon Fire Stick which can now access most TV and cable channels and most streaming services for free.

This is what Disney's up against, what all content producers are up against - that people are turning away from paying for what they watch, but not perceiving those actions to be illegal or immoral. The person who buys the hacked Fire Stick doesn't think he's done anything wrong - he's bought it on a legitimate website, possibly even from Amazon's own site - he thinks he's using a legal product in a legal way. The person who trades passwords doesn't think she's doing anything wrong - why would Netflix allow you to sign into multiple devices if this was wrong, she might think. The person who downloads via BitTorrent doesn't think he's stealing; he thinks stealing is walking into a store and taking a physical object off the shelf without paying for it.

The best way for content producers to protect their revenue and their market is to make their product easily available at a price that people perceive to be more convenient than the costs and hassles of bootlegging the material. And at $7 a month or $70 for the year, it's a low cost barrier to entry with content that will appeal to people, at a price that can't be beat, with the promise that the stuff you like won't disappear. It's certainly a paradigm shift in how we consume media, but it's an essential one for the long term survival of the business.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, that’s something I never imagined Disney would realize- their attitude has usually been “our stuff is the best, so people will pay for it!” I was pleasantly surprised last time I went to a Walmart and actually found the Blu-Ray of Home on the Range for $5, I’d never seen a Disney Blu-ray priced that low.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here.

Now what of Disney’s classic catalog titles that have yet to see any high definition release?

Some examples:

The Ugly Dachshund (1966)
That Darn Cat (1965)
20000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954)
Darby O’ Gill and The Little People (1959)
The Black Cauldron (1985)

Also what of movies like The Black Hole (1979) which is available on Amazon Prime And Vudu. Will The Mouse bring those into back into the Disney+ fold?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brad here.

Now what of Disney’s classic catalog titles that have yet to see any high definition release?

Some examples:

The Ugly Dachshund (1966)
That Darn Cat (1965)
20000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954)
Darby O’ Gill and The Little People (1959)
The Black Cauldron (1985)

Also what of movies like The Black Hole (1979) which is available on Amazon Prime And Vudu. Will The Mouse bring those into back into the Disney+ fold?
I have 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Darby O'Gill and the Little People and The Black Hole on HD Digital so I'm expecting all three to be on Disney+

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would think that there’d be an excellent chance of seeing all of those HD masters that Disney currently sells on streaming platforms being included in Disney+.

I don’t think they’ve gone through the trouble of winding down their Netflix partnership, making new HD transfers of much of their legacy content, and purchasing Fox, just to give us a tiny crap selection on Disney+.

I think they want to build a service that will end up getting many users to essentially sign up for life. They have more premium, in demand content than any other content producer or provider. It would be silly if none of that makes it to Disney+.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Vudu is a purchase-based site, and so is Amazon (although some of their content is also available to Prime members.) I don't think Disney will stop selling things on those sites for those that want to get it there. The reason they wanted to wind down their Netflix partnership is because both Netflix and Disney+ are subscription-based and they don't want to give their content to another provider in the same business. So, while there is an excellent chance that titles like that could show up on Disney+ at some point -- maybe even at launch -- I don't think they'll actually stop selling it through other channels. They'll probably be happy to take as much money as we collectively want to give them.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Darby O'Gill and the Little People and The Black Hole on HD Digital so I'm expecting all three to be on Disney+
I really would love to see THE BLACK HOLE in HD. I haven't seen it in years, and then it was probably VHS. I just remember I loved the score.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really would love to see THE BLACK HOLE in HD. I haven't seen it in years, and then it was probably VHS. I just remember I loved the score.

I purchased it from iTunes for that very reason, to see it in HD. The current DVD is actually pretty good but the iTunes stream is better.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder why I never got the DVD? Was it late on the scene? For some reason I thought it had never been released. I think I'll take a page from Josh S.'s playbook and stream it on Disney instead of buying it on disc.

Edit: I went ahead and bought it from iTunes and mastered it on a BD. I guess I'm just a disc whore. I'm about to go watch it for the first time in more than thirty years. Thanks for the iTunes heads up, Josh S.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wonder why I never got the DVD? Was it late on the scene? For some reason I thought it had never been released. I think I'll take a page from Josh S.'s playbook and stream it on Disney instead of buying it on disc.

Edit: I went ahead and bought it from iTunes and mastered it on a BD. I guess I'm just a disc whore. I'm about to go watch it for the first time in more than thirty years. Thanks for the iTunes heads up, Josh S.
Wow, you paid $17.99 for that stream. I purchased it for $7.99 last August. iTunes has sales all the time.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Wow, you paid $17.99 for that stream. I purchased it for $7.99 last August. iTunes has sales all the time.
I really wanted to see it tonight! :) Plus I have it on disc now. I might regret that I didn't wait in the morning, but right now I am popping some corn and getting the home theater ready. Really glad you mentioned it in passing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks