What's new

Disney Club Interesting statement ---- does it mean???? (1 Viewer)

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
They haven't released any of their early Disney live action shows from the 50s for over 5 years. When I joined the club, I was told they would be releasing the early series like Texas John Slaughter, Swamp Fox etc. As usual they lied, they have never released any of them.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As usual they lied, they have never released any of them.

I said this earlier in this thread about potential edits to Fantasia, and it applies here as well. I understand your frustration with not being able to get titles you want. I too also have a list of things that I'd like to get on Blu-ray which Disney has never released. Most of us here probably do.

But I don't think it comes down to representatives lying to you.

Do you actually think that the people who answer phones for Disney have any influence at all on what titles are released? They can pass along requests, but choices about what titles are coming out and when they will be made available are above the pay grade of phone workers.

I'm not a member of DMC, but I have called Disney Movie Insiders and Disney customer support a few times over the years, and everybody I have spoken with there have been as helpful as they can. I don't think they intend to dangle a carrot in front of you that they can't deliver, but there's a limit to what information they have and what it is within their job description to influence.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Aside from Sunflower, parts of The Nutcracker suite including the Chinese mushrooms, Dance Of The Hours, and Night On Bald Mountain.

The Nutcracker is a creation of Piotyr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. He was "sensitive," as that Walt Disney Presents episode concurrent with the release of Sleeping Beauty euphemistically described him.

Funny how these labels in practice seem to be targeting groups of people who are already marginalized and marginalizes us some more.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The Nutcracker is a creation of Piotyr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. He was "sensitive," as that Walt Disney Presents episode concurrent with the release of Sleeping Beauty euphemistically described him.

Funny how these labels in practice seem to be targeting groups of people who are already marginalized and marginalizes us some more.

The Nutcracker music is fine, it's just some of the animation is where certain people will find foul with.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Alligators chasing after the hippos and ostriches could be seen my some as harassment. As for 2000 everything checks out fine to me at least.

Not necessarily. Chris Langham's Muppet Show episode is not on Disney+ even though he already served his sentence, yet James Levine has faced similar accusations and those have not affected the availability or content of Fantasia 2000 so far in any way that I am aware of. I predicted this would be an issue if they ever released the rest of the show and I was right.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
They haven't released any of their early Disney live action shows from the 50s for over 5 years. When I joined the club, I was told they would be releasing the early series like Texas John Slaughter, Swamp Fox etc. As usual they lied, they have never released any of them.
I think Disney has lost interest in their older titles. I still belong to DNC , but no longer expect older live action titles on Blu-ray , or the TV Shows on DVD,
I DO wish they would license this stuff out to other interested companies like Kini-Lorber.

Desdinova

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Song of the South was released on blu ray in Japan where it's in the public domain. Haven't seen a copy but a review stated it was from a 16mm print and included several extras. While I'm very, very skeptical that Disney will ever release it themselves, I suppose it's not a complete impossibility (and as has been pointed out, if you know where to go, there are some gorgeous 1080p versions out there on the web).

I'm curious if "the original version" of Fantasia will include the Sunflower scenes.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Song of the South was released on blu ray in Japan where it's in the public domain. Haven't seen a copy but a review stated it was from a 16mm print and included several extras. While I'm very, very skeptical that Disney will ever release it themselves, I suppose it's not a complete impossibility (and as has been pointed out, if you know where to go, there are some gorgeous 1080p versions out there on the web).

I know which one you mean and I have seen it. For all the print's uncorrected flaws, it is miles above what else is out there, and it was the first time I rewatched it where it actually looked like the same movie I fell in love with as a 3-year-old boy growing up in the South in the 1980s after it had been integrated for two decades. Except I doubt that it was shown in the Academy Ratio then. It wasn't until after Roger Ebert complained about the cropping of Cinderella a year later that they did anything about it. It wasn't until I got into laserdiscs that I learned the difference. The Japanese laserdiscs used to be the go-to source for people in NTSC countries who wanted to watch it (and the means to afford the anything-but-cheap price tag). When people in other countries get things from Disney that we don't get in the US, it makes me feel left out.

I'm curious if "the original version" of Fantasia will include the Sunflower scenes.

Odds point to not this time but I'll never say never with anything Disney.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I know which one you mean and I have seen it. For all the print's uncorrected flaws, it is miles above what else is out there, and it was the first time I rewatched it where it actually looked like the same movie I fell in love with as a 3-year-old boy growing up in the South in the 1980s after it had been integrated for two decades. Except I doubt that it was shown in the Academy Ratio then. It wasn't until after Roger Ebert complained about the cropping of Cinderella a year later that they did anything about it. It wasn't until I got into laserdiscs that I learned the difference. The Japanese laserdiscs used to be the go-to source for people in NTSC countries who wanted to watch it (and the means to afford the anything-but-cheap price tag). When people in other countries get things from Disney that we don't get in the US, it makes me feel left out.

Odds point to not this time but I'll never say never with anything Disney.
original scenes and comparisons are on youtube will posting the link go against the rules here is the link

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Wonder if Disney's original early attempt of stereo or what Fantasound was exists?????????

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking of joining but I do not have an option to select blu rays.

Enter one of the optimum promo codes -- the is the essential key to making DMC a Great Deal vs just an OK deal.

You should see a screen with 5 For $1, A Dalmatians Blanket, and 2 Bonus" boxes
A little further down under "Jumpstart you membership" make sure something like "Create memories that last a lifetime. We'll help you get started with 5 Disney movies for just $1, and you agree to purchase 3 titles starting at $19.95 with Membership" is mentioned. That at least tells you the Promo code was successfully applied

Select you 5 movies, after you click Continue you'll see a box with Choose Your Format DVD or Bluray. It will tell you is something you chose only comes in a different format and give you the option to change or proceed.

You will not get a chance to select Bonus Movies until AFTER you finish the next section
Click Checkout and enter all your information -- Name, Billing and Shipping Address, Payment Method -- then submit

After that you should see a screen saying select your Bonus Movies and a 10 minute timer. They will show you about 50 titles to choose from -- personally I think choosing at least 1 bonus is crucial since that cuts you down to 2 further Full Priced Items. I think all the Automatically offered items are BD even if you select DVD for the first 5.

These were the latest selections they officially offered, but that;s actually not absolute and there are some workarounds. Easiest thing if you know exactly which 6-7 items you want and at least 1 of them is on this list -- don't choose it in the first 5 and save it for the Bonus. These can change somewhat every week or two so try to have a backup choice or be prepared to contact them.
A Bug's Life
Alice in Wonderland 60th Anniversary
Aristocats ( without Digital)
Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Bambi (Signature)
Beauty and the Beast (2017)
Beauty and the Beast (Signature)
Big Hero 6
Black Panther
Brave
Captain America Civil War
Coco
Doctor Strange
Finding Dory
Finding Nemo
Frozen
Frozen II
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2
Hocus Pocus
Incredibles 2
Inside Out
Lady and the Tramp (Signature)
Little Mermaid (Signature)
Moana
Monsters Inc
Mulan (2020)
Nightmare Before Christmas (BD/Dig)
Oliver and Company
Onward
Peter Pan (Signature)
Pinocchio (Signature)
Pocahontas 1-2
Princess and the Frog
Ratatouille
Snow White
Spies in Disguise
Tangled
The Fox and the Hound I & II
The Lion King (Signature)
The Sandlot
Thor Ragnarok
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Toy Story 4
Up
Wall-E
Zootopia

Someone yesterday said there was a search box that allowed you to pick any of the enrollment items in the Bonus Part (aside -- I've never seen that so can't confirm everyone gets it) OR you can pick one and call/chat with CSR to have to exchange it for something you'd rather have (it still has to be an enrollment eligible title so you can't sneak 4K items in there). If you forget or somehow get signed out before selection a bonus, you can contact them and have them add it afterwards while the order is still in processing - that can be a few hours or even a day, but is one of the reasons I strongly suggest starting an enrollment M-F 10am -9pm ET just in case there is an issue.

I still suggest reading the Bluray.com DMC OP and Post 2 FAQ at least a couple times even if you don't read the rest. The GoogleDoc in that thread is pretty UTD and shows which items are in the club, which are enrollment eligible, which have digital, etc.

DMC Google Doc

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Wonder if Disney's original early attempt of stereo or what Fantasound was exists?????????

I’m afraid not. The tapes for Fantasia have long since deteriorated so the 4-track stereo mix made for the 1950’s reissue is the closest there is to Fantasound as it was heard in 1940 (from what I’ve read, the tapes were deteriorating even as they were creating that mix).

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I’m afraid not. The tapes for Fantasia have long since deteriorated so the 4-track stereo mix made for the 1950’s reissue is the closest there is to Fantasound as it was heard in 1940 (from what I’ve read, the tapes were deteriorating even as they were creating that mix).
Surprising - thought Disney which is known for saving everything would not this innovative technology for 1940 preserved - didn't they save every cell from each of their animated films?????

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Surprising - thought Disney which is known for saving everything would not this innovative technology for 1940 preserved - didn't they save every cell from each of their animated films?????
Not if the cels that were on sale in the Disneyana shop on Main Street in 1978 -certified by the cartoonists union as film used - were legitimate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks