What's new

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Noted this statement on the listing for the upcoming blu/dvd/digital of Fantasia release does ut mean it will feature uncut unaltered scenes; --- c'mon release Song Of The South with the same statement

This program includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures. These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together.

Disney is committed to creating stories with inspirational and aspirational themes that reflect the rich diversity of the human experience around the globe.

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Made me decide to grab the release from the club - comes out 4/20/21

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Rather than remove this content, does not mean they are putting back stuff from "Fantasia" they took out more than a decade ago.

I would be really surprised if that happened. I expect this to be exactly the same master as was released before, with the same censored content.

They're just covering their ass about what they left in. It doesn't say it's uncut. Remember, this is not the Warner Archive. The majority of subscribers to the Disney Movie Club are families with children, not adult collectors. They're just concerned that some parents might get upset about the stuff that's still there.

As far as "Song of the South" is concerned, the chairman of Disney is on record as being adamantly opposed to it ever being released.

richardburton84

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack
Somehow, I doubt they’re putting Sunflower back into the picture. The last time I saw the film on Disney +, she was still edited from the film, though the film has the disclaimer regardless of the editing. I have it read that the reason the disclaimer is on this film is because of the dancing mushrooms in the Nutcracker Suite segment due to it being a Chinese stereotype.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This same statement has accompanied Fantasia and other films on Disney+ since the service's launch. It isn't new.

But they still haven't released Song of the South, and I don't think they will. That film seems to cross a line in being too problematic to explain away in a statement.

I'm sure Fantasia will be a port of the previously available transfer from the 2010 release. I don't see why they would do anything else.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As far as "Song of the South" is concerned, the chairman of Disney is on record as being adamantly opposed to it ever being released.

Also, they only fairly recently shut down the otherwise very popular, long-time favorite, related Splash Mountain ride at WDW for redesign and remodeling into a different(-ly themed) ride in large part over this issue. They probably wouldn't be (spending substantial $$$) doing that if they're having a change of heart about releasing the movie...

_Man_

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Yet the one movie that deserves that label the most doesn't have one. I'll believe they'll reinstate Sunflower in Fantasia when I see it. There's a difference between that and Song of the South: that actually got released to tape and laserdisc, just not in the US or Canada. Those overseas releases did not actually change the movie save for Buena Vista replacing RKO or the opening logo getting omitted entirely. None of the Fantasia releases had unaltered versions of the Pastoral Symphony.

What bothers me is the lack of consistency in applying these labels.

Last edited:

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Noted this statement on the listing for the upcoming blu/dvd/digital of Fantasia release does ut mean it will feature uncut unaltered scenes; --- c'mon release Song Of The South with the same statement

This program includes negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures. These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now. Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together.

Disney is committed to creating stories with inspirational and aspirational themes that reflect the rich diversity of the human experience around the globe.

The release is a "Best of Mickey Collection", containing Fantasia, Fantasia 2000, and Celebrating Mickey. My guess is that the statement is referring to some of the cartoons in the Celebrating Mickey piece.

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The release is a "Best of Mickey Collection", containing Fantasia, Fantasia 2000, and Celebrating Mickey. My guess is that the statement is referring to some of the cartoons in the Celebrating Mickey piece.
Hopefully Fantasia too would be unedited

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
What is a shame that Song of the South is all over the internet won't mention where as that is taboo here if I were a shareholder of Disney I would be furious that someone is making some nice money yet DIsney refuses to let those who want the film buy it! Best form of censorship offer the film in the club ---- let customers decide!

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
All across media outlets censorship applied w/o any rhyme or reason - recently saw a show on the Cartoon Network that used the N word same with shows like the Jeffersons, Sanford and Son featuring episodes that use the word too yet they are not pulled from syndication. Yet the Little Rascals were butchered when aired in the 70's and 80's! Every time I watch Intruder In The Dust on TCM shocked the word is there too!

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
JUST GOT THIS REPLY FROM DISNEY MOVIE CLUB!

8iuTX4LlGZO.png
Author
Disney Movie Club

Robert, it is the original version

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Do you believe that representatives of DMC actually know what they are talking about with regard to censored content? I highly doubt that that kind of information is provided to them.

I see no reason to believe that this will be anything other than a port of the existing Fantasia transfer which was originally released in 2010.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100