What's new

Disney Club Interesting statement ---- does it mean???? (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I knew an animation story man who worked at Disney when Walt was still there, and he told of stories where the employees took cels from Fantasia and threw them in the hallways to play "slip and slide" on them. They were thought to be practically worthless!
Yep. I'm sure everyone thought that the movie was over so there was little point in keeping them. That attitude is also why they're so expensive now.

Desdinova

Agent
Real Name
Scott
I know which one you mean and I have seen it. For all the print's uncorrected flaws, it is miles above what else is out there, and it was the first time I rewatched it where it actually looked like the same movie I fell in love with as a 3-year-old boy growing up in the South in the 1980s after it had been integrated for two decades. Except I doubt that it was shown in the Academy Ratio then. It wasn't until after Roger Ebert complained about the cropping of Cinderella a year later that they did anything about it. It wasn't until I got into laserdiscs that I learned the difference. The Japanese laserdiscs used to be the go-to source for people in NTSC countries who wanted to watch it (and the means to afford the anything-but-cheap price tag). When people in other countries get things from Disney that we don't get in the US, it makes me feel left out.

Odds point to not this time but I'll never say never with anything Disney.
Thanks for the additional info! I've seen a private scan of a 35mm print that was nicely restored and it looks outstanding. Since it was done privately using an actual print, I'm assuming it had the correct ratio.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm also going to go out on a limb and say the uncensored version is closer to the originally intended color and lighting schemes. The DVD doesn't just remove an entire character, they artificially boosted the color while trying to make the bright parts dark.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Yep. I'm sure everyone thought that the movie was over so there was little point in keeping them. That attitude is also why they're so expensive now.

Outside of the most obvious explanation, money, maybe it also explains why they started reusing animation in the 1960s and 1970s: the original cels were lost.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Song of the South was released on blu ray in Japan where it's in the public domain. Haven't seen a copy but a review stated it was from a 16mm print and included several extras. While I'm very, very skeptical that Disney will ever release it themselves, I suppose it's not a complete impossibility (and as has been pointed out, if you know where to go, there are some gorgeous 1080p versions out there on the web).

I'm curious if "the original version" of Fantasia will include the Sunflower scenes.

I know which one you mean and I have seen it. For all the print's uncorrected flaws, it is miles above what else is out there, and it was the first time I rewatched it where it actually looked like the same movie I fell in love with as a 3-year-old boy growing up in the South in the 1980s after it had been integrated for two decades. Except I doubt that it was shown in the Academy Ratio then. It wasn't until after Roger Ebert complained about the cropping of Cinderella a year later that they did anything about it. It wasn't until I got into laserdiscs that I learned the difference. The Japanese laserdiscs used to be the go-to source for people in NTSC countries who wanted to watch it (and the means to afford the anything-but-cheap price tag). When people in other countries get things from Disney that we don't get in the US, it makes me feel left out.

Odds point to not this time but I'll never say never with anything Disney.
5 years ago I bought this Japanese laserdisc on eBay with its Obi Strip and in pristine condition. I refuse to be denied access due to censorship and was determined to see why a Disney animation film was banned forever. Firstly it’s an historically important film for its technological achievements combining live action and animation so extensively and paved the way for Mary Poppins, etc. so I watched it with a friend to see what his reaction would be as compared to mine - meaning whether it was offensive or whatever. But we both found it to be a very sweet story and hardly as offensive as even Gone With the Wind or Breakfast at Tiffany’s are not to mention so many others like Disney’s Jungle Book or a Lady and the Tramp. It’s definitely been given a reputation worse than Birth of a Nation by Disney banning it from existence. It’s a shame considering how we need to learn from our history in order to move forward.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Can one get Disney 4K Blu-rays as part of the membership selection or even after joining?
Got Home Alone 4K!! I got it from the club as a Featured Selection but packed it away getting ready to move in a month!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Can one get Disney 4K Blu-rays as part of the membership selection or even after joining?

Not for the initial enrollment (the 5 for $1 plus discounted 1 or 2 optional bonuses). Pretty much all the 4K (Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and now some ex-Fox) are available through DMC -- regular price is $30 or 35, but like most things in DMC the deals come when you buy in groups to take advantage of the B1 at regular price, get rest of items of same/lesser price at 50 or 60% off.

A lot of the Adult oriented titles aren;t part of DMC on BD or 4K (and most not DVD) -- Bridge of Spies, Die Hard, Prestige, Heat etc

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wonder if the Lady and the Tramp warning isn't their way of getting back at Peggy Lee (née Norma Engstrom) for beating them in court. Was "The Siamese Cat Song" any worse than any of her other ethnic novelty songs?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I wonder if the Lady and the Tramp warning isn't their way of getting back at Peggy Lee (née Norma Engstrom) for beating them in court. Was "The Siamese Cat Song" any worse than any of her other ethnic novelty songs?

Peggy Lee been dead for almost 20 years, bit late to be vindictive now.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Jim Henson's been dead for over 30 years, and that hasn't stopped them from placing a scarlet "R" on select Muppet Show episodes. If anything, that makes it easier when it's someone who's not alive to defend themselves.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jim Henson's been dead for over 30 years, and that hasn't stopped them from placing a scarlet "R" on select Muppet Show episodes. If anything, that makes it easier when it's someone who's not alive to defend themselves.

So your presumption is that the preshow warning are done b/c Disney wishes to stick it to Henson for some reason?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So your presumption is that the preshow warning are done b/c Disney wishes to stick it to Henson for some reason?
I blame Sweden

1614543298245.png
;)!

JC Riesenbeck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
A lot of the Adult oriented titles aren;t part of DMC on BD or 4K (and most not DVD) -- Bridge of Spies, Die Hard, Prestige, Heat etc
But the nice family story about a very rich guy and his prostitute shacking up in Pretty Woman is available. May even be where I got it but I can't remember. :) On the other hand, I check the exclusives every month to see if they dragged anything out of the vault. They seldom do anymore.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But the nice family story about a very rich guy and his prostitute shacking up in Pretty Woman is available. May even be where I got it but I can't remember. :) On the other hand, I check the exclusives every month to see if they dragged anything out of the vault. They seldom do anymore.

But Pretty Woman is a Fairy Tale -- even says so in the movie several times. Sort of like the insolent Hussy that shacks up with those 7 dudes who mine diamonds, rubies, and emeralds.

A lot of those type titles are actually grandfathered in it seems. 2010-2014 there were a fair number of popular Adult Fare items that were part of the club. After some year those, DMC went back to being oriented toward the Disney Family titles and the Adult Fare seems to be spun off into their own orbit and weren't added any longer, but many of those grandfathered items weren't removed. You'll find a lot of those scattered in the DVD section

There are actually 4 Criterion DVD Titles that are available -- The Rock, Armageddon, Rushmore and Life Aquatic

I gave up following such logic a long time ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks