What's new

Disney Club Interesting statement ---- does it mean???? (1 Viewer)

Dave MJ

Second Unit
I haven't seen them but I'm sure they're sourced from a VHS or laserdisc. That being said, unless someone gets a hold of a print and makes an HD bootleg from that, the SD bootlegs are the best option that is ever going to exist because there is literally no chance that Disney will ever legitimately release Song Of The South on any format ever again.
There are versions of a 35mm print scanned in HD that are pretty good quality. I'm just not a big fan of the movie. But it does deserve some kind of preservation release.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
If Disney actually released a truly uncut Fantasia or Song of the South, I’d pick them up, (despite a lot of SotS actually being pretty boring) but I’d also be knocked over with a feather, because it’s the last thing I’d ever expect them to do.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Sunflower has been gone from the film since the 1960s (though her removal has been accomplished in different ways over the years), so I've made peace with that. What bothers me more is the loss of Deems Taylor's voice and the muffled sound quality on the Blu-ray. The laserdisc and even the original DVD sounded significantly better.

I'd be perfectly happy if, along with the current restoration, Disney would also offer the 1946/1990 cut (or something based on it) with the better sound quality. I actually think the shorter intros are more effective, and they could restore Taylor's voice.

Last edited:

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Also, they only fairly recently shut down the otherwise very popular, long-time favorite, related Splash Mountain ride at WDW for redesign and remodeling into a different(-ly themed) ride in large part over this issue. They probably wouldn't be (spending substantial $$$) doing that if they're having a change of heart about releasing the movie...
Disney has gone so far as to remove the song “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah” from Disneyland's music loops and also updated the website to remove references to Song of the South. This is cancel culture at it's worst. The song is a classic. They are trying to erase the entire movie from existence instead of opening up a discussion. Sad.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Disney has gone so far as to remove the song “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah” from Disneyland's music loops and also updated the website to remove references to Song of the South. This is cancel culture at it's worst. The song is a classic. They are trying to erase the entire movie from existence instead of opening up a discussion. Sad.

Disney wants to keep it's squeaky clean image intact, and will gladly bury anything that would tarnish said image. Point in case everything after Bambi is largely ignored until Cinderella. That's 7 years Disney now wishes never existed.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Any way you spin it, Disney is reducing the number of Black faces on screen.

And it isn't just Black people being targeted. They put a warning label on a Tommy Kirk movie, then they cut up TWO Roddy McDowall movies (including most of his footage from one of them), now Jim Nabors' episode of The Muppet Show needs a warning label. All of them are white and male … and gay.*

I agree, and what makes it even more troubling is that the song's co-writer, Allie Wrubel, was Jewish. They are pointing the finger at the works of many different groups of people in order to justify their suppression or marginalization through warning labels. That offends me. It reminds me of something some of the bad guys from Bedknobs and Broomsticks used to do before the war: burn things that another one of the bad guys sold for a living.

*And two were on The Carol Burnett Show so thank God Disney doesn't own that!

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Any way you spin it, Disney is reducing the number of Black faces on screen.

And it isn't just Black people being targeted. They put a warning label on a Tommy Kirk movie, then they cut up TWO Roddy McDowall movies (including most of his footage from one of them), now Jim Nabors' episode of The Muppet Show needs a warning label. All of them are white and male … and gay.*

I agree, and what makes it even more troubling is that the song's co-writer, Allie Wrubel, was Jewish. They are pointing the finger at the works of many different groups of people in order to justify their suppression or marginalization through warning labels. That offends me. It reminds me of something some of the bad guys from Bedknobs and Broomsticks used to do before the war: burn things that another one of the bad guys sold for a living.

*And two were on The Carol Burnett Show so thank God Disney doesn't own that!

All of that is very possible, but Disney "could" just be covering all the bases for anything that could be perceived as offensive such as Wayne and Wanda's Indian Love Call from said Muppet episode.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Perception is different from reality. Who asked for these warning labels? Nobody I've talked to about the subject thinks it's a good idea. Who was Jim Henson prejudiced against? No one that I'm aware of. But it is beyond absurdity to treat The Muppet Show as if it were as incendiary as The Jeffersons. It is outright insulting to the intelligence. Worse, it assumes you haven't any intelligence to insult. I doubt Disney consulted any Henson family members about how to proceed after recent tragic events, and I doubt even more so they asked any family members of the cast and crew of Song of the South how to handle it and anything related to it.

Ironically, I'm told they spared a scene in the Alan Arkin episode where a bunch of rabbits sing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah."

And when a YouTuber can get the frame right when D+ gets it wrong, that's just plain inexcusable.

As for the upcoming stockholders' meeting, that's going to be an entertaining affair to say the very least.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Perception is different from reality. Who asked for these warning labels? Nobody I've talked to about the subject thinks it's a good idea. Who was Jim Henson prejudiced against? No one that I'm aware of. But it is beyond absurdity to treat The Muppet Show as if it were as incendiary as The Jeffersons. It is outright insulting to the intelligence. Worse, it assumes you haven't any intelligence to insult. I doubt Disney consulted any Henson family members about how to proceed after recent tragic events, and I doubt even more so they asked any family members of the cast and crew of Song of the South how to handle it and anything related to it.

Ironically, I'm told they spared a scene in the Alan Arkin episode where a bunch of rabbits sing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah."

And when a YouTuber can get the frame right when D+ gets it wrong, that's just plain inexcusable.

As for the upcoming stockholders' meeting, that's going to be an entertaining affair to say the very least.

I was just about to ask and post that clip. It's safe for now until someone finds out where that song came from and then it'll be gone. Disney doesn't care about The Muppets or Jim's estate, all they care about is making money any way they can.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Some of us still haven't forgiven Disney for the way they tried to take advantage of the Henson family's grief right after Jim died.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Some of us still haven't forgiven Disney for the way they tried to take advantage of the Henson family's grief right after Jim died.

Disney's been taking advantage of it's acquired properties for years now, but the worse has been in just the last couple of years though.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
So, exactly what is wrong with "Fantasia" or even "Fantasia 2000?" I don't seem to remember the Sunflower. Kindly refresh my memory. Also, it seems to me that the things Disney is doing today to their classic original films is absolutely outrageous and I'm sure that Walt has turned over in his grave several times over. I cancelled my sub to Dis+ when I heard about "Song of the South." And finally, has anyone seen the trailer on Disney's "Cruella?" Talk about a PIECE OF SHI...!!!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
So, exactly what is wrong with "Fantasia" or even "Fantasia 2000?" I don't seem to remember the Sunflower. Kindly refresh my memory. Also, it seems to me that the things Disney is doing today to their classic original films is absolutely outrageous and I'm sure that Walt has turned over in his grave several times over. I cancelled my sub to Dis+ when I heard about "Song of the South." And finally, has anyone seen the trailer on Disney's "Cruella?" Talk about a PIECE OF SHI...!!!

Aside from Sunflower, parts of The Nutcracker suite including the Chinese mushrooms, Dance Of The Hours, and Night On Bald Mountain.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Aside from Sunflower, parts of The Nutcracker suite including the Chinese mushrooms, Dance Of The Hours, and Night On Bald Mountain.

What was “offensive” in the Dance of the Hours sequence (the other two bits listed I can understand, especially Night on Bald Mountain and by extension Ave Maria since they seem to want to avoid religious content at all costs)? I’m not entirely sure what, if anything, in Fantasia 2000 could be construed as offensive.

And finally, has anyone seen the trailer on Disney's "Cruella?" Talk about a PIECE OF SHI...!!!

William, I have not seen the Cruella trailer, and based on your review I have no desire to see it. Furthermore, I am not a fan of their remaking their animated classics and find most of them to be mediocre at best (the only one I think they really did a good job on was the Cinderella remake).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
What was “offensive” in the Dance of the Hours sequence (the other two bits listed I can understand, especially Night on Bald Mountain and by extension Ave Maria since they seem to want to avoid religious content at all costs)? I’m not entirely sure what, if anything, in Fantasia 2000 could be construed as offensive.

Alligators chasing after the hippos and ostriches could be seen my some as harassment. As for 2000 everything checks out fine to me at least.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I cancelled my sub to Dis+ when I heard about "Song of the South."

Huh? What about Song of the South would cause you to cancel Disney+?

Did you expect Song of the South to be on Disney+? They have been very clear since long before Disney+ was even an idea that Song of the South will never be released again.

Your money is your own and I'm certainly not telling you what to do with it, but if you're a Disney fan, there's so much good content on Disney+ that cancelling it over the absence of one film which they never said would be there seems like a really strong reaction to me.

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Disney doesn't have a clue. They are completely out of touch with what fans want. I've been a member since 2011 and for the last 3 years, I can't respond to their featured title each month without phoning them. I.ve called them 29 times about the problem and the answer is still the same "We are working on it". That's an outright lie, there's hundreds of complains on the net about the response link for Disney Title not working.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks