Dish to buy DirectTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryFoster, Oct 29, 2001.

1. GaryFoster

GaryFoster Auditioning

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I heard this mentioned on CNN. But what will be the end results (and effect) to us the end user??
    Fixed, and higher prices?
    Limited programming??
    Anybody have thoughts about this one??
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

3. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Anybody that has Dish Network now knows how tight Charlie Ergen is with price he absolutely does everything he can to keep prices down.
    As far as limited programming? I don't think so. This is the best thing that could happen to DBS. Look at all of the duplicate chanells they can get rid of. It will leave alot more room for HDTV chanells and higher quality pictures on the NTSC chanells. I would certainly pay a few bucks a month more if they were to turn down the compression a notch and add HDTV programming. If you are looking for something to be cheap you are in the wrong hobby.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Since DISH and DirecTV use incompatible equipment, have any announcements been made regarding combining services and equipment? This question should be a concern of anyone thinking of spending money on a HD tuner with satellite support.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 2

5. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I think you can find more discussion (albeit speculation at this point) over at http://www.dbsforums.com.
    ------------------
    Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

6. Cortney J Beard

The funny thing about it is that GM funded most of the money echostar used to purchase Directv and Rupurt Murrdock is steaming over the whole thing!!!
    I doubt that echostar or directv will shut down anytime soon due to the monopolistic laws that may go into effect but stranger things have happened.
    Cort

7. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

On the last Charlie Chat, Charlie stated that prices would not increase but likely decrease. He said the single subscriber base would give them leverage to pay a lower per/subscriber fee for programming. It would also free up bandwidth (each channel is currently broadcast twice over the same satellites because of the two networks). He said customers would only benefit (and I believe him). He also said the merged company could provide more HD programming as well [​IMG].
    I'm all for it but....
    When Charlie...When?

8. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit