What's new

If I buy an HDTV DirectTV receiver do I have to sign up for Direct TV? (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I was in Best Buy looking at the HDTV Direct TV receivers/decoders for my HD ready TV and was wanting to buy a receiver/decoder now and only use the receiver (over the air) part of the decoder for now, but have the ability to get direct TV down the line.

Where I live I can get 4-5 DTV stations, and I am pleased with the cable right now, but the life od a Methodist Pastor means I will move and I have a very real possibility in the future to be moved to a place where I will not be near ANY DTV stations and I will get Direct TV, but until then I do not want to buy the satellite system and the dish until I have too.

The Best Buy guys told me I can not buy any DirectTV receiver/decoder unless I sign a deal to sign up for DirectTV in the next 30 days after the purchase.

Is this true? How do I get around this problem. I promise I will use DirectTv in the future, just not within the next 3-4 years.

Thank you for all of you who care enough to help me! Take care!

MikeSRC

Second Unit
You can buy a DirecTv receiver and use it with your OTA stations without signing up for DirecTv. There is usually some discount or other incentive with DirecTv receivers whereby you will get a lower price and/or free installation if you subscribe within 30 days. However, the only current promotion I know of for the HD receivers is for existing customers that are upgrading and that requires a one year commitment.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
So can I go out and buy an HDTV receiver and just plug my cable coax in it from my local cable company and recieve HDTV broadcast on available channels?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
No. Cable uses a different encoding method than OTA broadcasts. OTA uses 8vsb, cable uses Qam. You'll have to put up an antenna to get local HD broadcasts.

If your cable company is offering HD, they will provide you with an HD-capable cable box at a monthly rental fee, just like with any other cable box. Thus you don't need to buy a receiver at all.

If your local cable company doesn't carry and HD channels, you can't get HD off cable, period.

There are boxes available that recieve only Over the Air local digital signals, without DirecTv capability. These also require an antenna and won't work with cable.

As for the original poster's question, some stores won't sell the box at all if you don't sign up for DirecTV, others will ding you extra for purchasing the box without activating the DirecTV service.

It's worth noting that for a total monthly fee of about $45 you can get tons of SD channels from DirecTV as well as the 4 channel HD pack which includes HDNet, Discovery HD, HDNet Movies, and ESPNHD. You won't get these locally over the air, and 3 of the 4 are HD 24 hours a day. Local HD only happens in primetime and then only for scripted dramas and comedies.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Grady, couldn't you buy a used unit to avoid the sign-up obligation? You might not want to but that could work I think...?

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

However, the only current promotion I know of for the HD receivers is for existing customers that are upgrading and that requires a one year commitment.
-------------------------

So what is this promotion?

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Rachael:

Yes, I could buy a used unit and I am looking often on the hardware area of the forum, and have looked all over the place (an continue to do) for open box items at Best Buy etc... but no takers yet.

I just would want to know what would happen if I did buy an HDTV Direct TV receiver/decoder and signed the papers, but did not sign up for the Direct TV until 3 years from now?

They said they require me to sign an agreement to sign up for DirectTV because people take the activation cards and somehow use them illegally. I just wish I could buy a unit without the card and then just get a card from DirectTV when I choose to sign up with them.

BestBuy Has a deal right now if you buy a Direct TV HDTV Decoder/receiver then they will throw in a free ($100)satellite dish on top of that, but I am not sure about instillation.

Anyone know where I can buy the new Panasonic TU-DST52(Over the air only) that is selling for $340 new? Thanks!

David Judah

Screenwriter
I just would want to know what would happen if I did buy an HDTV Direct TV receiver/decoder and signed the papers, but did not sign up for the Direct TV until 3 years from now?
They will charge you an extra $150. When you sign that agreement, they take a credit card as security. They will charge it, if you don't activate within 30 days. Look in the yellow pages and call some specialty satellite shops. I know the big mass merchants make you sign the agreement, but maybe one of the smaller ones won't require it.

It's hard to say though if they will, because basically Direc TV and the retailers(and maybe the manufacturer) subsidizes some of the cost of the unit selling at or around cost knowing they will get the money back through subscription in the long run. Retailers make residuals, but only if they turn in a signed agreement to Direc TV.

Good Luck,

DJ

MikeSRC

Second Unit
The service agreement requirement everyone is mentioning is true with the regular DirecTv boxes (which are price subsidized by DirecTv) but not with the HD ones (which are not subsidized). Directv dealers may not sell you an HD box without an agreement, but there are a number of places you can buy the HD boxes online without any service agreement.

The current upgrade special for existing customers is as listed here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks