What's new

Getting The Best Out of Sattelite TV (1 Viewer)

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Hello All, My wife and I have finally decided to dump Comcast. They are a typical monopoly and they deliver so little for so much money, but there are precious few alternitives to them up here in the granite state (NH). It's either them or satellite, Verizon pulled out of here just as they introduced FiOs. We decided to sign up with Dish Network; I know that DirectTv is considered superior, but the reviews that I saw place DirectTV only marginally better than DN and they were quite a bit less money. Cost was the whole reason for dumping Comcast in the first place. What do I need to do to get the very best performance out of Dish Network? I'm talking from the standpoint of connections, cabling and boxes. Do I need to recable what they install with quality stuff? Do I need to buy my own boxes or do I depend on Dish Network's equipment? If this has already been beaten to death in another thread then by all means please direct me to that thread. Also, for the time being we are using an analog TV, so please factor that in. In the not to distant future we will buy a 1080p LCD TV, but the old Sony Trinitron will have to do for now. Thanks, Adam.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
We have had Directv and Dish and I liked Dish better. The only reason to get Directv is if you want the NFL package. You will not have to re-wire anything from Dish. The equipment from Dish should be free. Check their website for the latest deals. For great info on satellite TV, go to Satelliteguys.us.

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Jim Mcc said:
We have had Directv and Dish and I liked Dish better. The only reason to get Directv is if you want the NFL package. You will not have to re-wire anything from Dish. The equipment from Dish should be free. Check their website for the latest deals. For great info on satellite TV, go to Satelliteguys.us.
Thanks for the info. Should we wait until we get the HD TV, or will they do the upgrade for us with little or no headache? Thanks, Adam.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I see no reason why they would have to come back out after you buy the HDTV. When you order tell them your plan, and that you want an HD sat. receiver now, and you will switch it to your HDTV when you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks