Terk TV42 Clip-On Antenna...HD Capable??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John Doh, Nov 20, 2003.

1. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

If I buy this clip on antenna, is it capable of receiving HD signals from my local networks, or do I have to go out and buy one of the big bulky antenna's and mount to the roof. I currently have DirectTV with a 18x20 multi-satelitte dish for HD, but cannot get local channels. If I can get OTA HD via this Terk TV42 antenna it would be optimal for my setup, thanks!!

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I dont know how strong the antenna is or how far you are from your choice towers, but yeah you should be good to go!
    (assuming your probally within 20-30 miles of the tower)

3. Michael_JB

Michael_JB Extra

It's capable but is also well known as being pretty much equal to just sticking a coat hanger in the air [​IMG]

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

yeah i remeber when I was looking at a clip on for my directv dish and everything I gathered from my findings was that there around the same range as a set top indoor 10.00 antenna.

and hey, coat hangers work great..lol

are you sure this antenna isnt only for the round dish?

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Avoid the terrible terk and for half the price get a Channel Master model 4221 lowprofile antenna it will be 10x better!

6. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Avoid Terk antennas like the plague! They're shoddily constructed and extremely overpriced. If this antenna is just for putting on top of your TV, I would get the excellent Silver Sensor antenna, which is available online as well as at Sears or Best Buy. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Channel Master antennas are excellent, but I don't know if any of them would fit on top of your TV. They're perfect for attic or rooftop installs though.

7. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I got one for $10 off a clearance rack somewhere just to give it a tray and I got nothing. My Silver Sensor can pull in all but one channel (WB-56 and those 2 mi outside of Boston know that it can't be done w/anything) and I'm 30 mi north of Boston in a valley.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Radio Shack now stocks the Double Bowtie UHF antenna, I think they are around $15. This is what I'm currently using for my OTA HDTV reception.

9. Iver

Iver Second Unit

10. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    There are two in Little Rock. KETS-DT (PBS channel 5) and KTHV-DT (CBS channel 12). There are others scattered all over the country.

-Robert

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    So if I'm only 5 miles from the local towers, would my regular old set-top amplified antenna (loop 'n' rabbit ears) be able to pick up the HD broadcasts?

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In Atlanta, the NBC affiliate (WXIA) broadcasts their HD feed on channel 10-3 (and it's not a re-mapped channel via the PSIP data). Since my antenna doesn't pull in VFH all that well, I don't get NBC in HD at the current time.

Aaron, there's nothing magical about HDTV reception, as long as you have a normal, conventional antenna that can tune in UHF channels. It'd help if it also tuned in VHF for the odd OTA HD channel as wel.

14. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

15. Iver

Iver Second Unit

16. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

The ABC affiliate here in OKC is broadcasting on channel 7-1 which is mapped to 5-1. I would love the Silver-Sensor except for that little catch.