What's new

Discovery HD on TWC in Raleigh, NC ? (1 Viewer)

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
Does anyone know if Discovery's new HD channel (which debuts today) will be carrried on Time Warner Cable in Raleigh, NC? If so, on what channel will it air?

Thanks,
Andy

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
TWC has been pretty dodgy about answering any questions on this count for me. They once told me they pass the 5.1 signal, which they do not. They've also assured me they will provide HD Showtime and HDHBO when I get my HD capability, but I can't prove this. You might give them a call or check the webpage at Link Removed The contact numbers are there.
Calling has the added benefit that if they don't plan to carry it, they've got someone asking for it/encouraging that they carry it.

KarenDB

Auditioning
I have Time-Warner in Durham, NC..same as Raleigh for the most part. I just got their HD cable box this past Saturday.

I get the following HD channels.

PBS Demonstration Loop
WRAL-HD (local CBS affiliate. Has quite a bit HD programing._
WTVD-HD (local ABC affiliate. Not very much HD content)
WRAZ (local Fox)- some HD content, most seems to be upconverted but they do put a blue background to eliminate the black vertical bars.
WNCN (local NBC affliate) channel hasn't worked..has picture but no sound
HBO-HD. Lots of movies in HD..but not all.
SHOWTIME - HD ..Lots of movies and series in HD..Queer as Folk for example comes in HD.

None HD channels get upconverted to 1080i. Since I have a rear projection display and want to avoid burn in, I really only watch the HD channels through the HD connection. The cable box also has S-Video and Composite out for non-HD content. One thing, the component cable they gave me was crap and was too short. Had to go buy a new cable.

To get the cable box, I called when I got the new tv..they said 4-6 weeks and never called. In the seventh week, I called them again, then they finally called back about a week later. Seems you have to bug them a bit.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Karen, does your HD box pass a 5.1 signal?

It doesn't surprise me that Time Warner needs to be bugged for an HD box. I'll call in advance before I get my TV.

KarenDB

Auditioning
John,

To be honest I don't know if the box can pass a 5.1 signal. It is a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box if that helps. I have an older JVC Prologic Dolby receiver so it didn't really matter to me.

Karen

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I have the older SA 2000 series box, and it does pass a 5.1 signal. The biggest problem though is that the the HD channels don't show up in the guide, so the only way to get to them is to punch in the channel numbers. It took me a while to find them all:
201: PBS
211: NBC
217: ABC
250: Fox
255: CBS
411: HBO
451: Showtime

I still have not been able to determine if and where Discovery HD is showing. I sent them e-mail, but not surprisingly, have not heard back. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and call.

If not for their HD channel availability, I would dump them in a second.

KarenDB

Auditioning
I found the channels by using the information at titantv.com. Then I selected each of those as a favorite with none of the SD channels as favorites. I imagine if they get Discovery HD, it will also get listed at Titantv.com.

It is annoying they are not showing in the normal channel line up though. They must be trying to keep it hidden from the masses.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
WRAZ (local Fox)- some HD content, most seems to be upconverted but they do put a blue background to eliminate the black vertical bars.
This will allow the red and green guns to get burned instead of all three so make sure you have your set adjusted and don't automatically assume the blue bars can't harm your set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks