What's new

Discovering more tv shows on dvd (1 Viewer)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
This place has been a godsend to me when it comes to discovering new tv shows on dvd. Right now I am in the middle of the Gilmore Girls S2, but I would like more suggestions for shows that I could get into.

Here are a few other shows you fellow HTFers got me into:

Smallville
Roswell
Felicity
The 4400
Alias

I am really enjoying the family drama of Gilmore Girls right now. It's a nice change from the usual action packed sci-fi shows I watched. What other great family dramas are there that I could devour?

Thanks

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Only season 1 of Everwood is available on DVD. But another copy sold might help convince Warner Bros. to release more episodes. :)

- Walter.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I got into Buffy the Vampire Slayer partly due to this place. If you haven't watched it, I recommend you do. All seasons are available.

The spin-off, Angel is also pretty good.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Posts from fans of various TV shows on this forum have persuaded me to check out quite a few series that I initially had no interest in watching. In most cases, I started by renting them on Netflix but now own the complete DVD collections (or as much as has been released).

My list...
Firefly
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Scrubs
The Job

The 4400 and Rescue Me are on my list to check out next.

-Keith

Mary_P

Second Unit
If you're looking specifically for family dramas, I recommend checking out "Once and Again" with Sela Ward and Billy Campbell. Exceptionally well-written drama from Marshall Herskovitz and Edward Zwick, who were the creative forces behind "thirtysomething" a few years earlier.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
Not a family drama, but a dark supernatural thriller that was terrific..ABC didn't stick with it and canned it.

Miracles (2003)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Here are some shows I got into on DVD:

Lost
Firefly
Six Feet Under- technically a family drama :)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Wonderfalls
Freaks and Geeks
Undeclared

Someone recently suggested Farscape and La Femme Nikita to me.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
Family dramas people!

I will second the vote for Once and Again, the only downside being that Season 3 (the final season) doesn't have so much as a release date, that I'm aware of...poor sales...but passionate fans, last I heard it was in a sort of limbo. A shame.

I will toss into the mix ROSEANNE, which just released its fourth season recently. Yes, I realize it is a sitcom and not a drama, but it covers a lot of dramatic territory over its run, and without a doubt, the relationships between the castmates are more tender and touching than those in most dramas. The leading actors (Roseanne, Jackie, and Dan) are simply amazing actors, and I believe were at least nominated about every year the show ran for awards. As far as family drama goes, this show was benchmark.

I will also add Sopranos, which I believe of currently running dramas, is truly THE family drama of the day. And though I've not seen it, I've heard that Six Feet Under is also amazing.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, for dysfunctional family comedy/drama (and dysfunctional workplace comedy/drama) try Rescue Me. The second season was just released on DVD. The adventures of a boozing, philandering, haunted New York firefighter, his family, friends and co-workers in the post 9/11 world. Brilliant stuff from Dennis Leary and Peter Tolan, goes from gut-busting comedy to wrenching tragedy (and sometimes back) in a hearbeat. The best show on TV that nobody's watching.

For pseudo-family drama (with the usual workplace surrogate family) and medical mysteries that are a lot more fun than E.R. there's always House, M.D.. (2nd season just out.) The still-hot Sela Ward even had a recurring role in this one. :)

Regards,

Joe

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
American Dreams Season #1 and Everwood Season #1 are both among the best family dramas I've ever seen. Unfortunately, there's no release dates on the following seasons, but don't let that stop you from enjoying both these great series!

Also, One Tree Hill is a great family drama/comedy with 2 seasons released so far. And don't miss Freaks & Geeks and it's follow-up Undeclared!

Dead Like Me Season #1 & #2 is among the best TV shows ever done! I call it my best blind buy.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
If you want to go back a few years, give The Waltons a try. I will also cast a vote for Once and Again, Everwood, and American Dreams. Also Veronica Mars provides an interesting dynamic between father and daughter. Almost everyone who has watched this show loves it.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Try "Popular," for those of you who are sick of teen dramas like 90210, Dawsons' Creek and One Tree Hill, etc. Popular has to be seen to be believed. I won't even try to describe it here...

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

Popular rules!!!! in a perfect world, Mary Cherry would've become as popular a TV character as The Fonz or Stewie. She could've been a hugely beloved character.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I think Arrested Development and The West Wing (Aaron Sorkin's seasons 1-4, strictly) are the two best shows ever made. Arrested Development would fill your family funny quota. On The West Wing, the President's staff is like a created family. I'd say definitely check those two out. They've got amazingly strong pilots and the tone is completely set by episode three for each show, they only get better, funnier (Until Aaron Sorkin's departure of course).

Wezzo

Second Unit
I agree about Once and Again too, a great show. As is The Waltons, as Doug said.

As for myself, I discovered many TV shows on DVD - some of my very favourite shows I've never actually seen on TV and got into with a chance blind buy, such as Frasier, Scrubs, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, 24, The West Wing, Seinfeld, Home Improvement, Cheers..

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

That's true of most "workplace" shows, from NYPD Blue and the various Star Treks through M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore and Taxi. Another workplace pseudo-family, in the comedy/drama division, is Aaron Sorkin's other TV series, Sports Night, one of the best shows half of you have never heard of. (And for more dysfunctional stuff from Dennis Leary, this time playing a boozing, philandering cop, check out The Job. (Featuring Dianne Farr, Lenny Clarke and a number of other actors who would end up in the Rescue Me stock company, as well as Leary pals like Liz Hurley and Gina Gershon in rare TV guest-shots.)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks