What's new

DirecTV lightning risk? (1 Viewer)

Dan.K

Auditioning
There are a few large trees right behind my house (one on my property, a few that are not) blocking the line-of-sight for my multi-sat DirecTV dish. I had an installer out to check out the situation, and he said he could clear the trees by mounting the dish on a tripod and 10' pole attached to the side of my house.

I'm resigned to the additional cost and to the less-than-optimal aesthetics associated with this installation, but I'm concerned about lightning. Attaching a 10' pole to the side of my house seems a bit risky.

Is anyone familiar with this type of installation, and can you confirm or assuage my fears?

Thanks,
Dan

TomCW

Second Unit
I wouldn't be too concerned about increasing your risk of a lightning strike, unless this addition will be the highest thing around. How much higher than the roof peak of your house would the pole be? Is there anyone else in your immediate area with something (an antenna, a flagpole etc.) that is higher? If so, have they ever been hit? What does your insurance policy say? How much would it cost for more insurance? Everything in life is a risk. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances...

StephenL

Second Unit

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, i wouldnt worry too much about it. by code your dish is grounded to a ground rod, so if it is up in the air a bit, and lightning hits it, it should ground itself out. wouldnt hurt to put a coax surge protector on your satellite receiver though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks