What's new

DirecTV installation advice (1 Viewer)

I currently have Cox Digital cable which is pretty good. The problem is I have been told that in my area they currently have no interest in going HDTV. I have contacted a dealer about DirectTV and had thought I had a pretty good deal. Three receivers (Hughes) with one of them being DD capable at no cost for the reciever upgrade and $50.00 to upgrade to a 3LNB dish for future HDTV upgrade (can't swing the HDTV receiver cost at this time). This would put the total cost at $50.00. The problem is he said that he will use the existing RG59 cable and a Diplexer instead of running RG6. The runs I currently have that he will use are all less than 75 feet each at the most (probably more like 30 feet each on 2 and maybe 50 feet on the third). I am going to keeb basic cable for local channels. Do you think this work?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
“Will it work” as in “Will I get a picture?” Yes, you’ll get a picture. However, there’s a good chance that it will suffer some degradation due to the RG-59. Since HDTV is all about a pristine picture, it seems self-defeating to compromise the picture with an inadequate cabling – indeed, I’ve seen degradation of standard cable TV with those lengths of RG-59.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Try this copendy.They are very good and DIRT CHEAP. I just upgraded my DTV reciever to a high end Philips with DD & Componete outputs for a mir $39.99!!!!
www.digitalsat.com

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator
The DB loss of rg59 over that short of a run isn't bad its the diplexing and using the bandwidth for the cable at the same time that will cause the problem. Add that to the fact that HD regulations are screwy at best so you don't know how compressed your signal is going to be in the fist place...I'd ask for the rg6.
What did the guy quote you for instalation price, if you don't mind? I know from when I installed Satelites the primary reason for diplexing was to save alot of time and cable on the "free installs". My guess is that the guy is about slapping up the dish and getting out as fast as possible.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
In my situation I had the guy run RG6 to my main TV set in my hometheater room for more critical viewing , and then run two lines of RG6 from the statellite and patch it to two existing rg59 lines in my attic for two small 20 inch sets in each bedroom. It works out good becuase your not running entirely on RG59, and on smaller sets the imperfections are not as noticable. But make sure you get the best installation on your main TV..:emoji_thumbsup:

NOTE: I have a triple lnb dish, so it runs one wire to each tv without using any splits.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
When I did installations they recommended no more then 2 splits between the dish & the xcver ....FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks