What's new

DirecTV - HTPC - TV connection question (1 Viewer)

millheim

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Millheim
All:

I am a DirecTV subscriber, with a STB for high def, and a second STB for std def. I also receive OTA H/S def signals via antenna. My HTPC has 3 TV tuner cards -1 high def, 2 std def. Before my HTPC, my high def STB was connected to my HDTV via a HDMI cable. Could someone review my attached connection proposal and tell me if this is correct, or if there their are better options to consider? Thanks in advance.

--kevin

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. You can't record HD from the D* HD box since it is connected via s-video. Then again, you probably know this. Also, does your HD box support simultanious HD/SD output? What is the "ch #4" notation on this card?
2. You can't record OTA on the D* SD box. As far as I know, there has never been an OTA tuner installed in an SD box from D*. What is the "ch #4" notation on this card?
3. Your HD card setting looks fine. What antenna is connected to it? Have you confirmed channel reception with that antenna?
4. Does your antenna capture FM signals? Most TV antennas don't get FM.

-Robert

millheim

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin Millheim
Robert,

Thanks for your response. I guess I should have explained this a little more clearly. :)

1. I will record OTA HD off the HD tuner card. The HD STB has a SAT & OTA input on back, which I will feed to a std def tuner card to record those channels, but not in high def. The ch4 indicates that this tuner card will be set to ch4, allowing the STB to change the channels via an IR blaster, controlled by the HTPC.

2. Both STB's have a SAT & OTA input. I assumed that if I fed this to a tuner card set to ch4, I could record both SAT + OTA stations in std def, and control them with the IR blaster from the HTPC.

3. I have a DB4 antenna that does recieve OTA signals from the Phila, PA area. Should work fine.

4. I thought that the FM band was around the ch6 frequency on the VHF band, so the antenna would recieve it. Maybe I'm wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks