What's new

DirecTV DSL (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I'm moving soon, and as a college student I've had access to the UI's T1 (freshman and sophmore year) and most recently a cable modem (for the last two years). My new appartment, and job, is in an area with very little technological penetration. I know for a fact that Digital Cable will not be available at my appartment (out in the country) so I'm looking into alternatives for Internet access. I was intrigued by the DirecTV DSL service until I looked through their webpage and it sounds to me that it is a regular DSL service, which isn't likely to work with rural (read: old) phone lines. If it is a regular old DSL (and not a downstream satelite feed) why does it have anything to do with DirecTV? I'm at a loss to see why DirecTV would offer a service that has nothing to do with it's sats...

Anyone know more about this, or even better yet, anyone subscribe to this service?

I'm looking at moving back to a dial-up for the time being (until the roadway in front of the place is reconstructed next year and hopefully the utilities upgrade their services at the same time), for roughly $20/month, whereas DirecTV DSL is $50/month.

Other questions:

Is there some sort of deal with TV and Internet access bundled?

Is DISH's internet access any good? (Last I looked it was ridiculously expensive...)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dave,

DirecTv DSL is just regular DSL. DirecTv bought out Telocity a little over a year ago. Why? I don't know.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks