DirectTV vs. Dish

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Omard., Sep 25, 2003.

1. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

I know this question has been done to death, but after several searches my questions are still not answered. So I would greatly appreciate your answers to my questions. I live in Berwyn, Illinois which is just south of Chicago. I have comcast digital cable with HD. I'm currently on a promotional pricing package but that will end in November. So I want to swith to a cheaper format. I just purchased a house that has three dish network satellites one the roof, but i'm not totally convinced on them (dish network) finally to the point. I would like to know which is better Directv or Dish? I would like a pvr and HD. Which has the best PQ in HD and standard TV? Also where is the best place to purchase the equipement? Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    SD picture quality: D* has slightly more compression artifacts while E* has slightly washed out color (from reading other comments)

HD picture quality: The same. D* is compressing their HD picture slightly but is is very difficult to notice the difference. E* has more channels coming and new dish technology so things may change.

HD Equipment: D* has a bigger choice of HD receivers. E* has some new ones coming out soon including an HD PVR model. If it is anything like previous releases, it will take a few months to get the bugs out of the software and even then they won't have the bells and whistles of D* receivers. That is my opinion but you never know since no one has seen the new models yet. D* will have their HD PVR out in early '04 and it's rumored to be able to record two HD streams from either satellite, OTA or both.

SD Equipment: D* has the PVR powered by Tivo. The best PVR on the market.

-Robert

3. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

Do you have D*? If so how is it affected with the weather?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I have a DirecTivo and a Hughes E-86 high def receiver. I was a Dish customer with the Dishplayer 7100 (their first PVR) and a model 6000 HD receiver. I dumped them when the DirecTivo got the software upgrade that activated the dual tuner option. It was the best move for me.

5. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

Where would be the best place to buy the equipment?

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Expert Satellite and Value Electronics are both online vendors with very good reputations over at the Tivo Community site. One or both offer an unadvertised deal for Tivo Community members if you are ordering over the phone. (no, they don't actually check to see if you are a member)

-Robert

7. Omard.

Omard. Stunt Coordinator

Do you know what the deal is?