What's new

DirectTV - RG59 Coaxial Cable vs. RG6 (1 Viewer)

JohnDPug

Grip
I understand from the DirectTV site that I should use RG6 coaxial cable between the dish and the box. Most of my interior cabling is RG59 which I know is a little thinner than RG6. Can I use RG59 with DirectTV or do I need to replace my interior cable plant?

Chip E

Screenwriter
DirecTV and Dish Network both say to use RG6. I'd replace your RG59 if i were... i did.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The center conductor on RG6 is thicker. If you have a long run of cable or a lot of connectors in the signal path like ground blocks and wall plates, the required voltage may not make it to the LNB. The first sign of this is the loss of half of your channels (it's usually odd channels I think). Also you can get better shielded RG6.

If your existing cable isn't stapled into the wall your can pull the RG6 into the wall while removing the RG59. Tape the two pieces together after you take the wall plate off. As you slowly pull the old cable in the attic, have someone feed the new cable into the wall.

-Robert

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
try it first. see if it works and save you the trouble of running new wires. i have used RG-59 as wire to diplex (ant, and sat) on one wire b.c there wasn't another option. it works, if and only if ,the rg-59 wire is perfect. if replacing the rg-59 isn't a big deal than go ahead, i definitley recommend it, but in a pinch you do what you have to do.

"when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

keep us informed,

l8rz,

adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks