DirectTV vs DISH

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joseph Sabato, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone done (or seen) a comparison of picture quality between the 2 systems?

Since both now cost nothing for equipment (current offers on 3 room systems) and the programming is a wash for me, the key factor is the picture quality that I will get on my RPTV.

I currently do not have an HDTV and probably won't for another couple of years, so that is not a factor right now. I thought I saw somewhere that now more compression is being used and the picture quality is not as good as it used to be.

I tried digital cable from my current provider when they first offered it, and I believe they must have used a lot of compression because frankly there was not much improvement over the analog stations, and the best analog stations (playing live sports, for example) looked better than the worst digital station. I do not want to make the change and be disappointed if one provider is better than another. Thanks.

2. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I can't say anything for Dish network, never really seen it in action. But I can say our DirecTV picture at home is a little better than my Charter digital cable picture at my apartment. Plus channel surfing is much easier w/DirecTV [​IMG] .

3. Jason*H

Jason*H Agent

PQ in my Opinion looks the same. Dish network does offer more channels. Their setup receives programing from 2 different satellites which also make setting up the dish outside a little more dificult

4. Steve Griswold

Steve Griswold Stunt Coordinator

Dish Net's 2nd dish is for extended locals and foreign channels (e.g., latino programming). The vast majority of programming is on the primary dish.

HD quality on Dish Net is superb. ESPN HD is a joke, however. Locals are mediocre in quality. General PQ is probably a 6/10 at best.

Customer service is excellent for both, but in my experience, Dish's CSRs are much more polite.

5. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Steve,

What makes ESPN-HD on Dish so much worse than the other HD channels. I'm thinking of making the switch to Dish after February 1st when they roll out their new packages and no commitment plans.

Thanks,

Neal

6. Steve Griswold

Steve Griswold Stunt Coordinator

ESPN-HD is horrid because 90% of their programming (arbitrary number, may be more or less) is just SD programming stretched (poorly, I will add) to fit 16x9.

What you end up getting is a blurry, warped rebroadcast of whatever was playing on ESPN. Of course, there is the RARE college basketball game or some other program in true HD but again, the majority of programming is just filler because ESPN has no clue what they are doing.

I mean, at least with HD-Net and HBO-HD they enhance their current programming (either with remastering, scaling, who knows) to make it LOOK HALFWAY DECENT.

7. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Oh, I thought Dish was having a problem with ESPN-HD, like over-compressing just that HD channel or something.

I know what ESPN is doing as far as programming goes. Granted their stretch isn't all that great, but I know they will only add more and more HD programming.

Neal

8. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

I can tell you that the ESPNHD Sunday night NFL game is outstanding! If only they'd do more like this.

9. Peter_D

Peter_D Agent

NFL Sunday Ticket only on DTV

10. David.Kaiser

David.Kaiser Auditioning

Historically DISH has had a slightly "softer" picture than Direct. That's not all that bad in that artifacts were a little less obvious on Dish.

I'm a Direct user (for many years). I find the picture quality to be decent at best and lousy in some cases. The sports channels and Sunday ticket can be downright unwatchable on a larger TV (over 32").

Direct's HD channels are excellent, as good as OTA. As noted ESPN-HD is a ripoff with little HD content. Both have decent records available with dual-tuners. The Direct Tivo is easier to use, but the Dish unit is faster. (DirectTivo can be a real dog at times).

If I was buying new, I'd let the price and channel offerings make the decision. Direct has Sunday Ticket which sways a lot of people.

11. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

==Start Rant==

How can Espn-HD be a ripoff when it was added to a package that you probably already paid for? What exactly do you expect from them? 24 hours of HD? Come on. They are in their first year. As many live events as they broadcast, they would need 15 trucks to provide all the coverage.

Sorry for the rant and being off topic, but I just don't get how Espn-HD is a ripoff and a joke. I count 24 live sports broadcasts in the next 39 days, not bad at all. People already paid their 10 bucks for Hdnet and the others, now they get Espn-HD with no additional fee and they just aren't satisfied.

==End Rant==

12. Peter_D

Peter_D Agent

You have to love the Hockey Games in HD also that you get on ESPN-HD and HDNET

13. David.Kaiser

David.Kaiser Auditioning

ESPN-HD is a ripoff. $10.95 is the reason. They offer very little content, HD-NET was already showing hockey. $10.95 for a few channels is steep, they need to add more to justify the cost. I get more OTA HD than I do from the Direct HD package.

14. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

You can't just say Espn-HD is a ripoff when it is part of a package. You pay 10.95 for a package of 4 channels, not just for Espn-HD.

Why don't you speak with your dollars then? Get rid of the HD package and then you can start complaining because you aren't getting enough HD sports OTA.

Lets just remember...HD is not a guaranteed product. The only mandate here is that everything go digital...digital does not mean HD. We should be applauding the companies that are actually supporting the HD revolution.

15. David.Kaiser

David.Kaiser Auditioning

You'll remember that HD was free (HD-NET, HBO, & Showtime), then Direct tagged on the $10.95 and added ESPN and Discovery.

Yes, I did vote and did cancel it. HD-Net is available OTA here. Since I don't watch many movies on HBO, I'm not really missing anything.

On local cable they now offer all but on OTA and the local Fox Sports does 20 NBA/NHL games. Direct isn't doing anything special.

I've been a Direct customer since nearly day one. I think I qualify to complain.

If others want to pay Direct for HD that's fine. But they will need to sunstantially increase the package as local cable is starting to run around them in offerings. Obviously they have some time to get this right, us HD viewers are a small minority right now.

I also cancelled my Sunday Ticket for the first time this year. The picture was so aweful that it wasn't worth the dollars. I know watch the CBS HD game locally each week along with Monday night football and look forward to FOx HD OTA next year (now that they have committed to HD).

16. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Thats fine to complain, but I don't think it is justified to complain about Espn. Directv is the one that is charging you the money and you have already spoken to them with your money. I'm about to speak to Directv with my money as well because they made a deal with the NRTC and I'm stuck with Pegasus. Dish is my only alternative at the moment, so off I go to Dish sometime after Feb. 1.

For 10.95/month, its worth it to me. There are about 30 or 35 live sports broadcasts over the next month between Espn and HDNet, well worth it in my opinion. Heck, during football season, just getting the Sunday night game in HD on Espn was worth the 10.95.