What's new

Directors DIRECTOR FILMOGRAPHY - The Films of FRANCIS COPPOLA (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Last night I watched for the first time Francis Ford Coppola's The Rainmaker from 1997 on Amazon, where it's available for "free" if you have prime. Good movie! Surprisingly moving, funny, and realistic. A good legal drama based on a Grisham novel. Matt Damon and the rest of the impressive cast including Danny DeVito are really good. Others in the film include John Voigt, Claire Danes, Mickey Rourke, etc. The score is by Elmer Bernstein.

Anyway, reviving this thread from the dead I'll give my ratings on FFC movies....

Coppola won an Oscar for co-writing Patton, and I consider this movie to be in some degree one of his.

Patton: A-
The Godfather: A
The Conversation: B
The Godfather Part II: A
Apocalypse Now: A++
One From the Heart: C+
The Outsiders: B
Rumble Fish: B
The Cotton Club: B-
Peggy Sue Got Married: C+
Gardens of Stone: B
Tucker: B
The Godfather Part III: A
Bram Stocker's Dracula: B+
Jack: Haven't seen it
The Rainmaker: A-

Haven't seen any of the others.

Is there ever going to be a director's cut of The Cotton Club?

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Nude_cover1-1.jpg

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The Godfather Part III: A

High grade for the third Godfather film which generally does not get a lot of love. He also wants to do a new cut and re-title this picture. Not something he has begun yet but with The Godfather films always being something they seem willing to revisit and repackage my guess would be it would be a good possibility. If he did that they would have yet another reason to put out another new Godfather set.

Of course, I'm just hoping he gets to make Megalopolis...his return to epic filmmaking.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Megalopolis sounds to me almost like a sci fi spin on One From the Heart, and so I'm concerned about that idea as probably his last big movie. I wish he'd adapt a novel instead—and not a sci fi novel.

I do love Godfather Part III. To me it's as good as the first two, but I seem to be pretty much alone in feeling that way.

Have you seen The Rainmaker? I really liked that one.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
My excitement about him doing Megalopolis is he wants to, feels it is the right moment for him, to return to huge scale filmmaking. Granted, it has been some time since he has done this and for a long while claimed all he wanted to do was little art house films but now he says he has scratched that itch and wants to make something BIG. All the things I have read about Megalopolis made it sound fascinating but nobody is attempting films like this now...and he admits that. I don't about how he plans to fund it and in the current state of "What have you done for me lately?" financing and the far, far diminished respect for directors well...not sure who outside of a Netflix might get behind him. The issue with that being that Megalopolis appears to be a project meant to be seen on a big screen in a cinema. I really hope he gets to do it and do it the way he wants to.

Yes, I saw The Rainmaker in a theater when it was released and I have seen it on TV. I have not purchased a copy of it because there was no US blu-ray release. I thought about picking up the German release but figured it was one of those pictures that will eventually get a US release so just waited.

I enjoyed it but would not rate it as highly as you. Probably a B- is where I would be. I think Coppola does a good job never been a huge Grisham fan though and find his work a bit grating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks