What's new
World Wide Stereo

Dipoles v Direct Radiating Surrounds (1 Viewer)

rAInMo9

Grip
Real Name
Yim
I was wondering if dipoles are a lot better than direct radiating surrounds for movies. Also, are dipoles more "forgiving" in placement? It would seem that since they produce a diffuse sound field, you could place them in less ideal locations and still get good surround sound, versus direct radiating speakers which would have to be placed in a specific spot to get good sound. I am asking this because the only place i can put surrounds is on a shelf on a sidewall around halfway the distance between my seating position and the TV. Thanks.

P.S. The speakers that I am considering are the SVS SBS-01 system and the Monitor Audio Bronze series. If dipoles are a lot better than direct radiating speakers, I will probably get the Montor Audio Bronze series, as the surrounds in it (Monitor Audio Bronze BFX) are dipoles, versus the SVS surrounds (SBS-01).

728x90

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would say "different" rather than better or worse when comparing them for movies. For music it's a different story.

With your placement options I don't know if dipoles would be good or not. I've never heard dipoles in that situation where it would be that far in front of you.

You might try a speaker like the Cambridge Soundworks Newton 300 which has a 3-way switch for dipole/bipole/monopole.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you really mean dipoles, your situation is definitely not good for them. Just understand there is a critical difference between dipoles and bipoles. With dipoles, you really need to be sitting in the "null" area between the two sides. So, they are usually best for placement almost directly to the sides of the listening area.

The fact is, having surrounds in front of the listening position will yield poor results no matter what you do. If you have no choice you could probably choose between bipoles or direct radiating. I'm not sure it will make much difference. Dipoles are definitely out though. In my opinion.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Well, since rear channels are suppsoed to be behind you (or at least directly to the sides of your head), with your particular room situation I wouldn't even bother installing ANY rear channels. They would be totally wasted.

IMO just run the receiver in 3.1 channel mode, in other words fronts, center and sub set to "YES" and rear channels set to "NO". This way the rear channel info will be sent to the front channels so you won't miss anything.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If the dipoles are in front of you, you can just angle the speakers so the null area is facing you. However, I believe that bipoles make the best surrounds because you get some of the diffuseness that dipoles have without totally giving up the imaging that direct radiators give you. I've tried all three, and none are ideal for both movies and music, but I find bipoles are the best compromise.

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
I've also quit using my switchable bipole/dipoles in dipole mode. I prefer the envelopment of the bipole sound. And with my speakers it brings one more driver into play which increases power handling. In your situation I'd consider some form of ceiling mounting to get the surrounds at least back even with the listening position.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think Lance has the best suggestion. Just skip the surrounds unless you can actually place them at or behind the listening position. In my opinion, the comments made about the relative benefits of dipole vs. bipole are only half accurate, but there is no reason to get into that in the context of this thread.

rAInMo9

Grip
Real Name
Yim
Well, the thing is my seating position is like a foot in front of the back wall, so I was afraid if I put the surrounds to the side of my seating position, it would be too close to the rear wall and create a lot of "boominess". If I did put the surrounds in that kind of a position (wall-mounted in basically in the back corners of the room), would you guys suggest direct radiators or bipoles/dipoles (the Monitor Audio BFXs are bipole/dipole switchable)? Also, I was thinking if I put a surround on the shelf midway between the TV and me, could I try aiming it towards my listening position (or bouncing it off the wall to the seating position's side) to try and improve the sound? Thanks.

rAInMo9

Grip
Real Name
Yim
Oh I just read the surround and bipole/dipole articles on the Polk website...So I guess I could try wall mounting the surrounds directly behind the audience on the rear wall? This is my first home theater speaker system so I'm not very experienced in these kinds of things...Is mounting the speakers on the rear wall viable? And if I did mount them on the rear wall, I would just point them straight forward, right? How far away from each other should they be, or should they be right at the edges of my listening spot? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks