What's new

Dimension Films Sure Knows How To Destroy A Good Thing! (1 Viewer)

Being a big Jackie Chan fan, I was highly eager to get my hands on the recently released DVD of his semi-recent film, THE ACCIDENTAL SPY. Having had a copy on VHS for two years, I was hoping to upgrade it to disc. Now I totally regret that decision. Why? Here's a section from the DVDFile review on the problem:

"Several readers have been kind enough to point out that THE ACCIDENTAL SPY had been severely altered when it was released in Region 1. The film's original runtime was 21 minutes longer than was released on this DVD. I did some research and found that Te wu mi cheng originally involved a terrorist plot and a new and more deadly form of Anthrax. But the tragic events of 9/11, and American distribution may have been scheduled for after 9/11 as well. I can only assume that this film was modified as a reaction to the terrorist attack on New York City and the Anthrax incidents that killed innocent people. It's unfortunate that rather than postpone the release, as was done with COLLATERAL DAMAGE, the distributors decided to heavily edit the film and dub new dialog to mask the original plot. The arbitrary editing and the missing 21 minutes may very well account for the vast plot holes I found and mentioned in this review. Jackie Chan's antics are no less entertaining here, but I believe that if the American people were ready for both the theatrical and DVD releases of COLLATERAL DAMAGE, that this film could have been released intact. It's a pity that Dimension Home Video underestimated the audience."

I haven't viewed my DVD yet and now I do not even want to thanks to Dimension Home Video. How could Jackie let this happen to his work? I find it hard to believe he would give approval to such drastic changes. All the previous films released by Dimension have not been altered, with the exception of some extra violent short scenes from SUPERCOP (aka Police Story 3). There was absolutely no reason for them to severely alter THE ACCIDENTAL SPY. If you're reading this Dimension, release a Special Edition of the film for Jackie Chan fans like myself which is uncut and unaltered. You owe it to us now. This kind of maltreatment of films nearly makes me not want to buy any more Dimension titles period if they are going to do this kind of thing regularly.

For those who read this, what are your views on the situation? Jackie Chan fans, voice your opinions. Thanks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is an entire thread I started called "Please do not purchase Accidental Spy" on the subject

Luckily there is a official region 0 HK release by Universe Laser and Video that, while not having the best transfer is intact and has DD/DTS tracks and English subs

This is neither the first, nor more than likely the last time Dimension will butcher and dub-only a Hong Kong film

Thanks Jeff. I haven't visited HTF in quite awhile, so I didn't know about your thread concerning the film. Do Region 0 DVDs play on Region 1 players? Probably not, though I can more than likely use my GameShark2 V2 with my Playstation 2 system to play it if I buy a copy. What website store can I get a Region 0 version of ACCIDENTAL SPY from? Hopefully one that takes money orders since I do not use credit cards or personal checks with on-line orders.

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
Elak
I believe that Region 0 means that these discs can be played in all players regardless of region.

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
"All the previous films released by Dimension have not been altered, with the exception of some extra violent short scenes from SUPERCOP (aka Police Story 3)."

All of the Jackie Chan and Jet Li films that Dimension releases are altered. If they are not cut (which 99.9% of the time they are) they are dubbed (100% there) and have their music changed.

Police Story 3: Supercop-Title change, about 10 min. cut, music change.

Twin Dragons-Around seven min cut.

Drunken Master 2-Last shot cut, music change, title change.

Armour of God- Title change (changed to make dumb americans think it is the sequel to Operation Condor when in fact it is the opposite.) around 10 min. cut.

Project A-Title change, around 15 min. cut including the outtakes.

Crime Story- Cut by 10 min., music change.

All of these movies are listed here with their original title, not that crap that Hackmension makes up.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
What's even more insulting is that the official HK releases are starting to mirror the US ones. Drunken Master 2 and Rumble in the Bronx and one other are now BOTH the US edits, but at least they have OSL.
Elok, you have to use a credit card, as you have to order from China. Disney is threatening to sue any store that sells the import discs in the US, and while they would lose should the field be equal, they will bankrupt any of these stores long before they even notice the cash missing.
http://www.dddhouse.com is the best place to go
And yes, Region 0 means All Region

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
For anyone interested. www.bigemma.com has a copy of Drunken Master 2 on Laserdisc, unbutchered but unfortunately only with Japanese subs. These discs are near impossible to find

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks