What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
DS9 apparently is available only in SD
That's correct. DS9 and Voyager have not been upgraded to HD. There have been numerous discussions about this. It would be costly to re-visit those shows and the remastered TNG underperformed.

Future proofing these shows is a good idea, but it's looking like there is little interest in exposing people to these shows, as todays Amazon Prime news demonstrates.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Future proofing these shows is a good idea, but it's looking like there is little interest in exposing people to these shows, as todays Amazon Prime news demonstrates.

I don’t think Paramount is declining license renewals because they’re not interested in keeping them in circulation. I think it’s just part of a long term strategy for studios to leverage their own IP on their own services. DS9 is more valuable to Paramount if the only place streaming viewers can find it is on P+. I suspect Warner won’t relicense the Harry Potter films to NBC/Peacock when that deal runs its course, not will Disney license out titles to Starz once that deal ends. The issue is that a lot of these deals were long term arrangements put into place long before these studios had streaming services so it’s going to take another few years for them to run their courses but I suspect within ten years, everything will be vertically integrated and studios will no longer license material to entities they consider the competition.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's correct. DS9 and Voyager have not been upgraded to HD. There have been numerous discussions about this. It would be costly to re-visit those shows and the remastered TNG underperformed.

I’m all about future proofing, but do we know the SD digital version will automatically upgrade to the HD version of and when they become available? I would imagine the SD versions would be taken out of circulation, but I’m not positive that means the SD’s will get the HD upgrade like some HD to 4k gets.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I suspect within ten years, everything will be vertically integrated and studios will no longer license material to entities they consider the competition.
Once this happens what incentive is there to upgrade it?

And why are we having this conversation in the "Deals" thread? :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Once this happens what incentive is there to upgrade it?

I mean, it’s not like any of the market forces in play over the last 20 years led to an upgrade so I don’t think it’s that simple.

They’re updating the director’s edition of the first Star Trek film as an exclusive to their service.

The new name of the game is keeping people subscribed. I suspect that there is a sizeable enough audience that would keep subscriptions active to have their favorite Trek upgraded and repremiered. Updating the whole series probably costs less than one new episode of Discovery and in return would give them hundreds of hours of new content that could be parceled out slowly. The more time passes, the cheaper the scanning, remastering and recreation of effects becomes as the technology becomes cheaper. I wouldn’t be surprised if doing the director’s edition of the first movie in 4K in 2021/2022 not only yields a better result than if they had done it ten or twenty years ago but would also be significantly cheaper to do now vs then.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’m all about future proofing, but do we know the SD digital version will automatically upgrade to the HD version of and when they become available? I would imagine the SD versions would be taken out of circulation, but I’m not positive that means the SD’s will get the HD upgrade like some HD to 4k gets.
We know for sure that SD purchases do NOT upgrade to HD under any circumstance. Anyway, the future-proofing Neil was referring to was the for the Studio, not his contemplated purchase.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
The series sets for "Star Trek" are half price on iTunes right now. I'm really tempted to buy DS9.
Also on sale at Vudu.

I bit on TOS at $25 there. I waffled for a bit as I have several options to watch it on subscription services, but figured that Paramount would start pulling it back to their own service. Kind of funny that I saw the news about the Star Trek license with Amazon Prime after I purchased it.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Yesterday I purchased the Lord of the Rings extended bundle with appendices and featurettes in 4k on Vudu for $25.99, wich seemed like a good price.

Then today I realized that the same three films with extras are included in their 3 for $14.99 UHD sale.

I contacted support about crediting the difference.

But still, $14.99 for the trilogy in 4k seems like a really great price.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This is the biggest iTunes sale that I can remember in quite some time. Even those of us with really large libraries are very likely to find a few titles worth getting.
There have been bigger sales, last week for instance. But this sale has better titles at $4.99….and more of them too.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Holy macaroni that's a lot of $4.99 titles. I'm probably gonna drop a chunk of change easy this morning...

All About Eve
Planet of the Apes (OG)
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Back to the Future III
Sixth Sense
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Philadelphia
Hoosiers (maybe)
Waterworld (maybe)
Psycho (maybe)
Gattaca (maybe)
Godzilla 1998
Day the Earth Stood Still (OG)
Jerry Maguire
Phantom of the Opera (maybe)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I picked up the 4K versions of Anatomy of a Murder, Say Anything and Reds, plus the HDX version of Rushmore. Anatomy of a Murder was an upgrade from BD, and the others were upgrades from DVD.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
There have been bigger sales, last week for instance. But this sale has better titles at $4.99….and more of them too.
Loaded with high-quality titles for sale for $4.99—not spectaculars, but smaller or more serious movies. I picked up 20.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The series sets for "Star Trek" are half price on iTunes right now. I'm really tempted to buy DS9.

I’m trying to finish ds9 on Netflix right now. I’m on season 7 with 21 to go. I haven’t heard when Netflix is dropping ds9. I’m sure it will be soon though.

I saw a few $5 titles that I may bite on too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks