What's new

General Discussion Digital Movie/TV Deals (2 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Side note I’ve been converting many of my blu ray discs to digital with the vudu program.
warner seems to be the best for eligibility. These titles share through movies anywhere to Apple TV and others. Paramount will redeem but the titles are limited to vudu.
mgm, fox and Disney titles usually aren’t eligible through the program.

I’m planning on selling many of my discs as well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Side note I’ve been converting many of my blu ray discs to digital with the vudu program.
warner seems to be the best for eligibility. These titles share through movies anywhere to Apple TV and others. Paramount will redeem but the titles are limited to vudu.
mgm, fox and Disney titles usually aren’t eligible through the program.

I’m planning on selling many of my discs as well.

It's a great program and I did convert a few DVDs to HD.

However, I stopped.

I have this fixation in my head I don't want any of my stuff on Vudu. I want one app for all my movies. I even paid twice for one title just so I could have it on iTunes (it was only $5). It's iTunes or nothing for me and I know that's my stupidity, but I am comfortable with that decision.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

However, I stopped.

I have this fixation in my head I don't want any of my stuff on Vudu. I want one app for all my movies. I even paid twice for one title just so I could have it on iTunes (it was only $5). It's iTunes or nothing for me and I know that's my stupidity, but I am comfortable with that decision.
I am limiting my Vudu purchases (which are rare) to 4K titles which are eligible for Movies Anywhere. That way the titles show up in all my libraries, and I am not impacted by losing out on Apple's policy of free upgrades to 4K.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick

However, I stopped.

I have this fixation in my head I don't want any of my stuff on Vudu. I want one app for all my movies.

Why not do it for titles that are MA eligible so they transfer to iTunes? That $2 price for a BD conversion is hard to argue with...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Why not do it for titles that are MA eligible so they transfer to iTunes? That $2 price for a BD conversion is hard to argue with...

I held ou on my paramount titles as they would not transfer. Then yesterday I went for it.

Ill keep some of those. But for $2 a title it was worth it to me.

the rest of the titles that are mA were an easy choice. I agree with you.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I could. However, I have well over 2,000 DVDs and I just don't feel like going through all of them to see what is MA compatible. I started with the Paramount titles as those are the Holy Grail releases that would most likely not see a HD upgrade -- that is, until recently.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I could. However, I have well over 2,000 DVDs and I just don't feel like going through all of them to see what is MA compatible. I started with the Paramount titles as those are the Holy Grail releases that would most likely not see a HD upgrade -- that is, until recently.
It's a lot of work as I had several titles that wouldn't convert for some reason. Perhaps, the system is better now.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

warner and universal titles are usually pretty good for redeeming. Paramount they are stuck on vudu. Universal also is pretty bad about including any extras too.
Fox, Disney and any Disney studios forget it.

interestingly my criterion upc copy of charade redeemed for digital copy.
It’s probably the universal transfer.

I’ve gone through most of my blu rays now. I have dvds left and for hd those are $5. So I have to really think about those more as it’s much more expensive to convert them to HD.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
On the "Disc vs. streaming" discussion. I'm seeing a lot of movies where the 4K stream is $10 and the UHD disc is $15. I'm curious where people fall on that. I will virtually always go for the disc in that situation. One thing is, it seems to be getting more common where the stream doesn't have Atmos, but the disc does. Plus, of course, the disc will be lossless vs. DD quality.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
On the "Disc vs. streaming" discussion. I'm seeing a lot of movies where the 4K stream is $10 and the UHD disc is $15. I'm curious where people fall on that. I will virtually always go for the disc in that situation. One thing is, it seems to be getting more common where the stream doesn't have Atmos, but the disc does. Plus, of course, the disc will be lossless vs. DD quality.

If it's a film that I like, I'll almost always go for the 4K disc release, especially when Atmos is a factor. Selling the digital copy will usually bring the final disc cost close to or the same as the streaming price.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If it's a film that I like, I'll almost always go for the 4K disc release, especially when Atmos is a factor. Selling the digital copy will usually bring the final disc cost close to or the same as the streaming price.
I'm adopting an attitude of "go where the best deals are." At the beginning of COVID, there seemed to be a lot more deals on streaming, so I was buying more of that. Now the sales don't seem to be so good, but disc deals have been good lately. I'm surprising myself, but lately I am upgrading more movies to 4K than I expected. Often the improvement from the BR, especially early ones, is significant enough. The fact is, I don't really go anywhere other than work, and movies are almost my only enjoyment. So, screw it, go for the good, I figure.

I've kind of decided that as convenient as streaming is, $5 is nearly my limit, other than movies that I really like which aren't available on anything but DVD and are in at least HD on streaming.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm adopting an attitude of "go where the best deals are." At the beginning of COVID, there seemed to be a lot more deals on streaming, so I was buying more of that. Now the sales don't seem to be so good, but disc deals have been good lately. I'm surprising myself, but lately I am upgrading more movies to 4K than I expected. Often the improvement from the BR, especially early ones, is significant enough. The fact is, I don't really go anywhere other than work, and movies are almost my only enjoyment. So, screw it, go for the good, I figure.

I've kind of decided that as convenient as streaming is, $5 is nearly my limit, other than movies that I really like which aren't available on anything but DVD and are in at least HD on streaming.

My price limit for HD streams is $5, while for 4K / HDR it's $10 (and I get most for less than that). If the UHD disc gets down to $15 before the 4K stream hits $10 or less, then I will probably opt for the disc (my price ceiling for a disc is $20). Most of the 4K streams I purchase are for titles where the UHD disc is still $25 or more.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
You could, if you don’t care anything about 4K. But all the titles you convert at Vudu will be ineligible for future (free) 4K upgrades at iTunes.

Absolutely true, but if it means getting a movie you want for $2 rather than $10-$15, it's certainly a reasonable thing to consider...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Absolutely true, but if it means getting a movie you want for $2 rather than $10-$15, it's certainly a reasonable thing to consider...
True, but a lot of those HD titles will go on sale at iTunes for $5, and provide for possible future free 4K upgrades. Since I would only do the disc to digital for my old DVD's and not my BD's, the cost to get an HD streaming version on Vudu is that same $5 as it may be at Apple.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
True, but a lot of those HD titles will go on sale at iTunes for $5, and provide for possible future free 4K upgrades. Since I would only do the disc to digital for my old DVD's and not my BD's, the cost to get an HD streaming version on Vudu is that same $5 as it may be at Apple.

Yeah, I don't generally do the non-upgrade $2 D2D for myself either. Only do it for select titles others (mainly the kids) in the family would likely want to see on-the-go. I have no plans to convert all my discs to digital. I'm mainly only using digital as a cost effective supplement for titles I don't necessarily feel strongly enough about adding more discs (at substantially higher cost) to my collection... though I suppose I might make some small exceptions...

At least for now, I do still prefer to use Vudu instead of the AppleTV app on Roku, but hopefully, the AppleTV app will reach par w/ Vudu before long since I'm favoring iTunes over Vudu for new purchases going forward like many others here. Yeah, for a MA-eligible UHD title, it doesn't matter which, so whichever happens to have the better sale... but I might also consider Vudu for non-MA titles that seem unlikely to ever get UHD release.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks