What's new

Digital Audio Output (1 Viewer)

jdolny

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
My television only has one audio output and it's as coaxil digital output jack. My stereo system does not have this type of input. What do I need to connect the tv to the stereo system? Is there some type cable or converter that I can get?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't think there's an adapter for that. Does your TV have RCA audio outputs(red and white)? If so, those connect to the red/white audio in on receiver.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I guessing that the TV is one of the newer SDTV's with a built in ATSC tuner, if it lacks standard left and right audio outputs. If so, it looks like your only option is to either buy a new receiver or buy a A/V processor, not likely the latter because of cost and lack of the need for such an extreme upgrade. What is the Make and Model # of the receiver and TV?

jdolny

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
TV: Sylvania 6432GG 32" DIGITAL COLOR TV
Receiver: RCA RTD209

The TV does not have the rca red and white outputs.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Does the TV have a headphone jack? If so you could use that as your variable audio output using a mini-jack to L/R rca jacks.

If not your only options are a new receiver, not a HTIAB, and you would need speakers. I am assuming you haven't had the TV for very long so you could return it and get a TV that has the neccesary connection, and this would be the cheaper and a deffinately more simple way to handle it. I would suggest a similar Sharp or JVC, maybe even Sanyo or Philips.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
There are converters out there for this purpose.

Look around Radio Shack ...

I'll post a link in a few...

EDIT:
There ya go!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

EDIT again:

Okay sorry its late and I read quickly, and you might not be asking for what I provided...if not sorry!! I should read more carefully.

Post what type of inputs you have on your stereo system and we can go from there....

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Uh.....he needs a Digital to analog converter, unless his HTIAB has an optical input spending $40 on this thing wouldn't help Jack at all.

Also, Most SDTV's(ATSC,NTSC integrateds) have optical vs. coaxial outputs. Sylvania can be a little odd sometimes with their tv's not following the trends of other manufacturers.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I am going to hit the sack soon, about 10 minutes and light out for me. Lets get a solution together before I fall out of my chair.:D

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
The Specs on your HTIB doesn't have any Digital Inputs, You will probably have to spend more on a DAC converter then the HTIB cost.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Jack.

First, a question: how do you get signals to your TV? Do have a cable box, sagtellite receiver or antenna?

Most cable and satellite receivers have RCA (red/white pair) analog outputs. Assuming that your HTIB has audio, analog inputs, this will do the trick. Of course you will get 2-channel sound, not 5.1, but since you don't have a digtal input, that is the best you can do.

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Yes we (I) was assuming that you are running your coax directly to the TV and using the built in Tuner in the TV. Lew is correct if you have a satellite or cable box just run the Red and White analog to the analog input on the HTIB. According to the specs on your HTIB there is only one analog input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks