What's new

Dig Camcrdr Purchs Help Needed (1 Viewer)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
We have some how lost our 5year old sony 8 mm camcorder. I have to buy a new something to record kids etc. Went to CC, BB, Ultimate, etc.. Sony has DVR240 DIG 8 that will play existing 8mm( I have like 30 recorded 8mm tapes) and new dig8mm tapes. According to reps dig 8tapes do not deteriorate over time( well like 50 years). Is this true. This model also has firewire(dont have on home pc) and usb(do have ). It retails 599 at all above stores. I can buy another plain 8mm but still spend 4-600 still. Any body in same boat or are happy with their purchases. I would eventually like to record these to dvd when affordability is a feasability. I am not interested in buying via internet with this particular purchase. Also, what do ya think about ext warranty on camcorders?:angry:
Pleas help, I will have to make decision by this Sat

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
I have a trrv530, that I would sell for $550.00, like new with about 30 hrs use on it. I definetely think even at the 240 your getting a great camcorder.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
The USB connection on the camera cannot be used to transfer full-frame, full-motion video to the computer. It will allow you to transfer still images to the computer easily though, if this is your thing. You will need to use the firewire port for getting video into/out of your computer digitally. (Firewire cards are cheap, you can get a Pyro BasicDV w/3 ports for like US$40).
Sony cameras are well-respected and it sounds like D8 is the way to go for you, with all your 8mm tapes. For more info, check out the Camera forum at DV.com. Lots of good info there.
PS- I just bought a new cam in December, it was a floor model so I got a 4yr warranty, just in case.
Cheers,

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Sony makes great camcorders. I would definitely buy digital now as the other formats are going out. Dig-8 is a great idea to play back your old tapes. Great model choice, and the Warranty is up to you. Remember Sony gives 1yr parts 90 days labor now. From experience, my parent paid around $180 in labor on a Sony camcorder 3 or 4 years ago. That was the flat fee on replacing the guides that pull the tape in and out of the cammy. If you choose to get a ESP/PSP, choose one with a NO LEMON policy. 3 repairs equals new camcorder.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all your help. I will check that forum out. I have a Sony digital camera and love it so it sounds like firewall is the way to go. Thanks again!

Kevin, why do you want to sell yours.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all your help. I will check that forum out. I have a Sony digital camera and love it so it sounds like firewall is the way to go. Thanks again!

Kevin, why do you want to sell yours.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
According to reps dig 8tapes do not deteriorate over time( well like 50 years). Is this true.

I see no reason why Digital 8 recordings would last a lot longer than Hi8 or 8mm recordings on the original tape, just because they are "digital."

Tape is, after all, tape. You're probably going to see damage from things like magnetic print through, tape oxide flaking, stray magnetic fields, etc. over a "really long" period. (Is that 10 years? Is that 50 years? Who knows?)

One advantage of a digital format is theoretically that you can copy the information to a new medium every few years with little or no loss. The act of copying has the effect of regenerating bits that are marginal on the original. So even though the original tape may die, the information lives on, on the copy that has just restarted the clock.

Note that the biggest threat to your data may turn out not to be the long-term rotting of the tape/disc, but the constant changing of formats and recording/playback equipment. Will Digital8 gear be common 50 years from now? Will MiniDV gear be common 50 years from now? It's not at all clear that either will be the case. You may need to convert your data a few times along the way if you want it to survive in a usable, convenient format.

Bill Lewis

Auditioning
If you are going to get a new video camera, get a real digital in MiniDV format. You always live dangerously when only one company makes the format you buy (can you say "Beta" VCR?). Many companies make MiniDV cameras; the panasonics go on sale at Frys periodically for around $399. Much smaller than digital 8 format, and easy to find tapes for. I bought my panasonic in 1999, have had it in the Amazon jungle and in Alaska, and it has never let me down. Great pic quality and very convenient to carry. You GOTTA get one with a firewire connection if you want to edit tapes on your computer, which is WAY cool...but time consuming. THe new Sony MiniDV recorders are 4x3 inches in size, run about $12-1600. Quite irresistable, but expensive. Good luck!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
MiniDV is more standard for digital video, but he said he has about 30 home videos in one of the standard analog 8mm formats. I believe he also said that he no longer has the original 8mm camcorder. So a MiniDV solution presents the problem of how to get the legacy content over from the old standard to the new one in a cost-effective way. (Rent an analog camcorder or 8mm deck for a couple of days?)

By the way, only some of the Digital8 camcorders are capable of reading analog 8mm and Hi8 tapes. For this application, I would not consider a Digital8 camcorder that lacked the ability to play analog tapes. Might as well get MiniDV if you're not going to have backwards compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks