What's new

Did Oppo Cease Production Of The BDP-93? (1 Viewer)

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I finally decided to part with the greenbacks for a BDP-93, especially after my old Denon CD player decided to cash in it's chips. I figured that it was time to step into the 21st century by combining the video and audio source into one very capable unit, and most people agree that the Oppo's are the pinnacle of that market segment. My Birthday came and the Amazon gift cards started showing up, so I got on-line to take the plunge and wouldn't you believe it, it's no longer available at Amazon. At least not a new one for $500 like they were for a long time. I got on Oppo's website and sure enough, out of stock except for refurbs for $415. You could get them on Amazon, there were two, a refurb for $600+ and a new one for $800. So I guess that's it, what have the rest of your heard? Any recommendations on what I should buy instead of a BDP-93? Do I wait for the next gen Oppo to appear?
Thanks,
Adam.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've heard that the Oppo 93 replacement will be coming out this Fall, it could be October or even November. You can still purchase a refurb 93 from Oppo Direct at a reduced price with the same one year warranty given to any Oppo player. Even Oppo doesn't have any new 93 players in stock. The specs for the new replacement player should be out by the end of this month. If you can't wait for the replacement then I would go with the refurb from Oppo.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Most of the Oppo returns are...
Non-WAF units...
As in...
"You paid what, for what?"
I had that scenario years ago on a couple McIntosh MC1000 I tried to "hide" in plain sight in the theater. I got a call from the GF wanting to know a few things. After explaining that I bought them "non-functional" and had to repair them...I had less than the "cost of one"...in both.
Still didn't sit well...
When I sold them, they paid for a nice vacation in the Caribbean for Three weeks...(one week for me, three for her...her sister and two best friends...)
It was worth it though. Had them in the theater for 9 months...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its true that oppo stopped making the oppo 93. there is a new player coming out. here is a link with some info about it. there is some good news and bad news. it all depends on you. I think the best bet would to get a refurb oppo 93. that is your choice. I own the 93 and its the best player out there.
Jacob
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428214/official-oppo-bdp-103-bdp-105-anticipation-thread

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Because it will be the last Oppo to offer component it will actually INCREASE in value over time, i would jump on $415.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Before we all get giddy over thinking the 93/95 are going to go "up" in value...
ICT...
By the way...is there a list anywhere of ICT titles? I know it was allowed starting Jan 2011...
Samsung(bless their heart :rolleyes: ) on the new D series TV...no longer acccept 720P/1080I via component...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Samsung isn't the only one going noncomponent. I bet you within 3 years you won't be able to buy any new HT equipment with component inputs or outputs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The problem I have with "component loss" has nothing to do with BD...
Not everybody is buying a new AVR with "HDMI passthrough". What about those of us that have Directv/Dish Net/Comcast/Time Warner etc that want to buy a newer TV yet own a 2 year old or older AVR that doesn't have HDMI pass through?
It means the "end" of being able to connect HDMI to the AVR and component to the TV(so you can watch the evening news)...
Granted Concast and Time Werner(both spelled that way on purpose) have removed the ability to have HDMI and component available together(Dish and Directv all outputs are "always live").
It isn't BD that I overly care about here(because of the lossless audio needing HDMI anyway...or 6 channel)...
It is those people that simply want 1080I/720P off a cable/sat box. Why do the "BD rules" have to ruin that party?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/323596/did-oppo-cease-production-of-the-bdp-93#post_3972487
The problem I have with "component loss" has nothing to do with BD...
Not everybody is buying a new AVR with "HDMI passthrough". What about those of us that have Directv/Dish Net/Comcast/Time Warner etc that want to buy a newer TV yet own a 2 year old or older AVR that doesn't have HDMI pass through?
It means the "end" of being able to connect HDMI to the AVR and component to the TV(so you can watch the evening news)...
Granted Concast and Time Werner(both spelled that way on purpose) have removed the ability to have HDMI and component available together(Dish and Directv all outputs are "always live").
It isn't BD that I overly care about here(because of the lossless audio needing HDMI anyway...or 6 channel)...
It is those people that simply want 1080I/720P off a cable/sat box. Why do the "BD rules" have to ruin that party?
I never said it did. I'm not so sure Blu-ray is the reason why they're phasing out component, I just see it as another attempt by the industry to force people to buy new equipment.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
^^^
I wasn't replying to anything you specifically said...
I was musing over the impending drop of component...especially from TV themselves. How one "format" can be used as a ruse to affect the entire home use of video entertainment is just unreal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/323596/did-oppo-cease-production-of-the-bdp-93#post_3972671
^^^
I wasn't replying to anything you specifically said...
I was musing over the impending drop of component...especially from TV themselves. How one "format" can be used as a ruse to affect the entire home use of video entertainment is just unreal.
Again, the blame isn't the format, but the industry that is forcing its customers to upgrade their equipment. In a matter of 5-7 years, 1080p will be the 480p of today once the industry figures out how to produce 4K equipment at reasonable pricing.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Maybe 4k will be the cause of another "physical format"...
Most people assume BD is the last of the physical...unless 4K is "DRM'd away from online..."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr /t/323596/did-oppo-cease-production-of-the-bdp-93#post_3972788
The phasing out of component has more to do with HDCP and closing the analogue loophole.
Either way, it's about maximizing profits for those in the industry.

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I started a thread about about this very same topic about 2-3 months ago and the basic answer is to suck it up and deal with it, unless you're all willing to boycott HDMI in favor of component. Good luck with that and now you're back to the sucking up and dealing part. I will say that you guys were very successful in hijacking this thread, any thoughts on the original point to this thread?

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Im glad to see a new model coming, especially with the inclusion of ability to use the Roku add on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by apn73 /t/323596/did-oppo-cease-production-of-the-bdp-93#post_3973123
I started a thread about about this very same topic about 2-3 months ago and the basic answer is to suck it up and deal with it, unless you're all willing to boycott HDMI in favor of component. Good luck with that and now you're back to the sucking up and dealing part. I will say that you guys were very successful in hijacking this thread, any thoughts on the original point to this thread?

What other thoughts you want to be said? Either buy the refurb 93 with the same one year warranty at a reduced price from Oppo or wait for that model's replacement in a couple of months. It's as simple as that because how one spends their monies is a personal choice.

Crawdaddy

K

Kevin Collins

Originally Posted by Toddwrtr /t/323596/did-oppo-cease-production-of-the-bdp-93#post_3972788
The phasing out of component has more to do with HDCP and closing the analogue loophole.

Exactly, It was all started by the studios as a requirement for them to do HD content on optical disc when the format wars started. I remember arguing with the studio heads back in the day because I had a Sony G70 and I didn't want to be cut off. The studios initial sunrise date for this was a lot earlier than it wound up being!

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Robert Crawford said:
What other thoughts you want to be said?  Either buy the refurb 93 with the same one year warranty at a reduced price from Oppo or wait for that model's replacement in a couple of months.  It's as simple as that because how one spends their monies is a personal choice.
Crawdaddy
Like maybe alternative brands to Oppo. Sorry that I inconvenienced you're intellectual discussion with my thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks