What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Did Oppo Cease Production Of The BDP-93? (1 Viewer)

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Denon 1713UD, Marantz UD5007, Yamaha BD-A1020, all recently released 2012 models.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by apn73 /t/323596/did-oppo-cease-production-of-the-bdp-93#post_3973632
Like maybe alternative brands to Oppo. Sorry that I inconvenienced you're intellectual discussion with my thread.
You never asked for alternatives until now. I'd bought the Panny 500 this year which is a very fine player. Also, I've heard some very good things about the Sony 790 player another 2012 model.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I had the 790 and have the 500, both nice. However, they arent universal players and if the OP is looking for something more involved, the players I posted a 3 examples, while pricey. I have the Marantz 5007UD being delivered today. Overpriced? Yes, but I love the look and the quality. I also wanted to complete the look of my gear, and that player does it.

apn73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
elwaylite said:
I had the 790 and have the 500, both nice. However, they arent universal players and if the OP is looking for something more involved, the players I posted a 3 examples, while pricey. I have the Marantz 5007UD being delivered today. Overpriced? Yes, but I love the look and the quality. I also wanted to complete the look of my gear, and that player does it.
Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it. I am definitely looking for a player that will do it all: Blu-Ray, DVD, DVD-A, CD, SACD, the whole shootin' match. It seems like disc technology has run it's course, so that is why I am looking for a player like this. Not to mention that I will save rack space. Component isn't all that important to me because it seems that the highest resolution you can get through it is 1080i, which is pretty darn good, but I would rather have the 1080p through the HDMI. I too have a problem with being forced to use the relatively delicate HDMI cable, but there isn't a whole heck of a lot any of us can do about it. I looked into the three players that you suggested and they all seem really nice, looked for them on Amazon and found nothing. Where did you buy your Marantz? I tried to buy a BDP-93 refurb and now those aren't even available, so I'm in a bit of pickle. Do you think that new Oppo is going to be worth the wait, or are the three suggested units going to be as good as? What makes Oppo so great and why should I buy from them over anybody else?
Thanks,
Adam.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
apn73 said:
What makes Oppo so great and why should I buy from them over anybody else?
I don't think there's any special reason to buy direct from Oppo. I have three Oppos (all BDP-83s). I bought one new from an online shop, one used from eBay, and one used from a pawn shop(!). The only one I ever had to have serviced was the eBay one and Oppo took it (no questions asked), replaced the loader, and paid for shipping both ways. Can't ask for better than that!

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Ive seen them on Amazon used, but they go fast and are sometimes pricey. My 103 will be here Tues, it has already shipped from Oppo.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I posted this in the Oppo Announces thread and thought I'd repeat here:
I just called Oppo directly and they still a "very few" 93's. I ordered one, with standard shipping via fedex (about 4 days) it cost $433. If you want the 93 from a reliable merchant for a good price ($415 + $18 shipping) call them right away. Phone number is (650) 961-1118.
They offered an hdmi cable longer than 6 feet (included) but it was way to high. I did confirm the included cable is a high speed, 3D compatible cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJL
Recent bookmarks