What's new

Dharman or SVS (Long) (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
A friend would like to replace/upgrade from a Velo CT-100. My two choices for him are the SVS 25-31PC or the Audio Adire Dharman.
His room is fairly large- 18x20, and opens to a kitchen. He
tends to play things(music and movies) very loud at times. The Dharman appears to have limiting circuitry to prevent overdriving the woofer, whereas the SVS does not. I would think that the SVS might sound a little better because of this, but on the other hand, this guy does NOT pay attention to little details like overdriving and blowing the woofer.
Would it be safer to get the Dharman? HAs anyone gone from a CT series woof to it?
Or do the powered cylinder SVS's have limiters/subsonic filtering?
Two woofers are out of the question- he wouldn't spend the money. All opinions welcome please. Thanks

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
If you look at the parts page at svsubwoofers you'll see that they do mention a subsonic filter as a feature of the PC amplifier. But no specifics are given.
[Edited last by Ryan Schnacke on August 06, 2001 at 01:01 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The Dharman appears to have limiting circuitry to prevent overdriving the woofer...
Actually, it does not. What it has is a subsonic filter that cuts out some of the infrasonic signals which can tend to be a cause of the "bottoming" problem you often hear about. It's there because ported systems can "unload" the woofer below their tuning point. The need for this depends on the source material, and the tuning point of the sub in question.
Tough call, really, what's the budget? I think the Dharman probably compares more closely to the 20-39, and might dig a bit deeper than the 25-31PC.
I guess it would be "safer" to go SVS, since there's so much written about them, with objective data to boot. On the other hand, having used the Adire components in the Dharman, I'd feel safe going that route also (especially at the current price). I'm confident that either will be a huge upgrade from the current woofer, and either is a great bargain.

Tim_S

Stunt Coordinator
I recently upgraded from a CT100 myself and bumped all the way up to a SVS CS Ultra, which I like a lot. My guess is that the other SVS's share a lot of the same sonic charactaristics but it takes more to play as loud. If that guess is correct, your friend should be quite happy with the SVS.
On the other hand, from the preliminary reports on the Dharman, I doubt he would be upset with it either. Tough call.
Tim

M

MaxY

Well I had a Dharman demo unit for about a week and Just gave it up last Thursday to Chris White who should be posting some thoughts on it soon as well.
I ordered a Dharman in Black for myself.
I do not think it is better then an SVS though. I do think it will provide close to equal performance and it does seem to cost less especially when you factor in the Discount that Dan offered up on them in another forum.
Basically the cost of my Dharman is $550 Delivered. I did actually look on SVS' Web site and did not see anything that could be had as cheaply or I might have considered an SVS.
Besides the Oak Dharman is a real thing of beauty. I would have ordered mine in Oak but Black is what works in my room.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks