Would anyone be willing to build my friend a sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Parker, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Scott Parker

Scott Parker Agent

I bought a Dharman about a month ago, and I love it. Long time lurker first time poster. My friends asking me for the most cost effective sub there is, so I of course said DIY. But were not to good with building things, so I was wondering if someone could do it for us for some cash. I can get the amp and everything from parts express, probably go with the ava250. So I'd need someone just to build the sub, I was thinking about using Dan Wiggin's design:

1 tempest

48" tall x 24" diameter sonotube.

(2) 4" flared port kits at full 17" length.

4 pounds polyfill.

4" feet

internal height 45" ( 2 sheets 3/4" laminated mdf for endcaps for a total 1.5" think endcap on each end)

your choice of speaker terminal

all mounted on the bottom endcap, they do fit!

This sounds like it'll work great, he said it beat 2 SVS 20-39cs. I know its alot to ask, but I know how much you guys like building these things. We'd probably just make a road trip out of it, so we can avoid UPS.

Thanx in advance,

Scott

2. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

Where are you? You don't have your location listed in your profile.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

why not buy an adire rava?

ot, you can buy the box from MCM, a shiva, and an ava250 and screw it all together for about the same once you factor in shipping..

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Scott. I can solve your problem with just one click.
    Here.
    I wrote a review about a sub that I got from them as well and you can read it below.
    Review
    Good Luck
    ** Hey Jerry. I beat you again!! Hah!!

5. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Yes, where are you?? If in new england, Id be glad to help you out. I already have the materials too ( I think)

Let me know,

Gregg

6. Scott Parker

Scott Parker Agent

My bad, I'm in South Carolina, I would like to get the most bang for the buck, so I don't think the Rava would cut it, since I already have the Dharman, which is supposed to have more extension. I checked out the acoustic-visions sight and it doesn't look like they do sonotubes, but I may be wrong.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Scott,

Are you willing to make a trip to the Atlanta area? I've never built a sonotube but I could always give it a shot. I need to try one anyway. But Patrick Sun is the local sonotube expert!

Brian

8. Scott Parker

Scott Parker Agent

Yeah, that'd be cool Bryan, although I'd rather have someone with some experience build one...no offense of course. Where does Patrick Sun live anyway, and do you think he'd be willing. If not, its all you Bryan. We don't have alot of the tools we need neither, so were kinda stuck.

I just got an email back that said they don't do sonotube, oh well, it was worth a shot

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Scott,
    I really can't speak for Pat. I don't have a clue what his schedule is. I do know he lives in the Norcross area (probably 20 miles closer to you than I am).
    I'm not sure I'd want to cut the driver and port holes without actually having the parts unless someone with experience with both the Tempest and the ports gave me exact dimensions (both mounting and external dimensions). I'd hate to put everything too close together!
    As easy as everyone says they are I'd assume I could build a sonosub if I can build a box! (We all know what assume means though!)
    Just let me know.
    Brian
    [email protected]

10. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Scott,

Where in SC do you live? I'm in the Fort Mill/Rock Hill area. I've never built a Sonotube sub either, in fact I'm just now finishing up on my first "traditional" sub. If you're close by I'd be interested in coming with you (or following you down) on whatever road trip you make! It's nice to find people with the same hobby close by.

Dan Hine

11. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

12. Scott Parker

Scott Parker Agent

Dan Hine,

I'm in Greenville, which is about 2 1/2 hours from you I think. I'll let ya know next road trip I make. Yeah I don't think I've met anyone nearby that shares my same love for music and BASS.

Brian Steeves,

Nice work on the sub man, looks great. But I was kinda leaning toward using the tempest since my dharman already has the shiva, good driver though.

Brian Bunge,

I guess Dan Wiggins could give you the exact dimensions, he probably has 'em posted somewhere. I was kinda thinking having someone assemble the whole thing, driver, sonotube, ports, filler, but I guess I would just need to know the best way to make air tight seals between everything if you just wanted to build the tube. How much are you thinking about charging for labor, just wondering?

Thanks for all the options guys