What can I get from 5 cu/ft ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisAttebery, Mar 29, 2002.

1. ChrisAttebery

Hey Guys,

I showed my wife the SVS and Dharman subs I was looking at. I got the "you want to put that in MY living room" look. So I'm loking at a DIY box to fit between the couch and the wall.

Can you give me a general idea of what is posible with the following:

Box: 60"long x 18"tall x 9"wide at top, 12" wide at bottom. I calculated th volume at 5cu/ft internal using 3/4" mdf.

Driver: Shiva or Tempest (if they'll fit)

Amp: Adire's 250w plate amp

I'd like to go for really low frequency, flat response, and moderate volume. I like to listen to music too, so I'd give up a few db for good quality.

I'd appreciate any input you can give me.

Chris Attebery

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Chris,

With 5ft^3 of internal airspace you could build Adire's EBS alignment (142.5L) for the Shiva. Should be perfect!

Brian

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I second that. [​IMG]

4. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

I am guessing that you are looking at firing the sub directly into the back of the sofa or directly into the wall. From your diminsions it doesn't look like it will fit into the ends. I know that some car guys fire subs through the back seats in "stealth" installs. I haven't ever heard it in a home environment but worry that it may not perform as well as if it were less obstructed. Hopefully someone else who has done so will advise the results.

If you could move the couch out just a little, you could alter your end pieces to allow for mounting a shiva in the ends. Or maybe one in each end, sealed, hmmm that could be pretty good. Jack Gilvey or Pat Sun might be able to run the numbers for you. Just a quick and dirty suggests that with heavy stuffing and a little eq in the room would be flat to mid 20s ...

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    5 ft^3 is enough to get a good design going. The EBS shiva may be your best option.

6. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with a sealed tempest for some very sweet SQ.
    In fact, my 15inch Dayton DVC (basically the same driver) is in a 5.3cf sealed box [​IMG]