What's new

Details: The Last Samurai (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I still don't understand why studios believe people are so stupid that they can't identify a movie without seeing the star's mug dominating the entire freakin' cover. Alright, so Tom Cruise's name sells. Big surprise. But do the marketing numbskulls really think they risk diminished sales if Cruise's face doesn't occupy 75% of the cover?? Isn't it enough for the packaging to have his FREAKING NAME on top of the film's title?? I know we crack lots of jokes about J6P's alledged stupidity, but c'mon...

"Big Ugly Mug" (or BUM, if you will) cover art should be saved for crappy films whose sole selling point is the presence of an A-list star that did the movie either years ago when they were starting out, or later in their career, when they took the role for the paycheck.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yup, apparently that's exactly what they think they risk. Do they? I don't know - I have no idea how much of a difference covers make in DVD sales. Obviously they want to market the presence of Cruise as much as possible...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
that new cover really sucks.. Someone should talk to warner bros about it.

JACOB

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
Nooo! Another huge floating head on the cover. Why don't the companies just use the original poster art? If that's what they put in theaters to get people's attention then surely its good enough for the shelves at BestBuy.

I'll have to see what they come up with over at the DVD Cover Art site.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
There have been times when the cover art has been changed again, so there is still time left to do so.

I wish they would use the original artwork seen in the theatrical posters, and make them free of ads or messages. I think of Seabiscuit in this case, which had in my opinion the best artwork of any DVD released last year. It was the exact artwork as the theatrical poster, with no changes. There was not even a banner that said if it was widescreen or fullscreen (it was identified as which by a sticker on the wrapping). Plus, the back cover art was well designed and very atrractive. Other studios should borrow from examples such as this.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
I never realized that DVD cover art was such a hotly debated subject. For me personally, I don't give the cover art a second thought when buying a DVD. But that's just me... a newbie. :b

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

There's absolutely NO reason you should act embarrassed that you don't care about the cover art! Just because it's an issue for others doesn't mean you're somehow inferior because it's not an issue for you...

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

That is going a little too far. I mean it's not like I buy dvd movies for decoration purposes. They are all kept in drawers and are only seen when I want to watch one. No matter how crappy the cover art is, it will NEVER sway my decision in owning a movie. That is just ridiculous. But all that aside, I do think the cover art for this film is terrible! The first picture of cover art for this film was great, why do they need to go and screw it up? I don't understand why they just don't use theatrical movie posters for dvd covers. I was really upset what they did with Open Range. Go to that thread to see my comments there. But regardless of the cover art, even if it had Tom Cruise standing in a bath towel, I would buy this GREAT movie.

StevenFC

Second Unit

Yes I realize that it's a marketing device. But does it need to be a permanent part of the cover? The cover art is a representation of the movie--and I don't see how a critics blurb has anything to do with the film. Like I said put all the blurbs you want, just don't make them permanent.

Cover art won't make me buy or not buy a DVD. I'm still going to buy it because it's a great film. I just wish a little more care was taken with such a great film...in all areas.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind a critic quote on the front--but if the only quote you're going to stick on the front is Gene (Super Mario) Shalit, you might as well put NO quote on the front.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I suppose looking back at it, I can see that I was a little to critical of the cover art being changed. It isnt all that bad once you get used to it. I guess it just pains me to see it be changed liek other cover art has been before. Either keep it the way it is or change it to something better.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
I don't think the new art is horrible, just average. But therein lies the problem.

The original cover art was just that - art. The new cover is yet another example of a formulaic floating head shot.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
For all my feelings, see JoshB's comment above... Yup, the simple Seabiscuit art was tasteful and done really well... I wish other studios would take that lead and follow this great example.

I loved the film, will be getting the DVDs as a no-brainer, but will be checking out other possible covers for it... The floating head thing bugs me too...

Um, I'm in the San Francisco area... If this were the case, sales would probably go up here... :D

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
The cover is ok. It's not like I'm ever going to frame the case. It's going to be tucked away in the drawer like every other dvd in the collection.
I do like that Warner is giving it a 2 disc special treatment.
IMO, the film was not quite at the level of dramatic impact that I usually expect from Ed Zwick, but I can hardly think of anyone else who could have handled it any better.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
Thank God Warner is doing it as a 2-Disc edition. Otherwise I would have to complain about it being in a snapper case, too. :D

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The original cover art is much, much better, with no quotes, better color, and those cool golden Japanese characters. The revised cover sucks. Hopefully this will be brought up in the Warner chat and it'll be interesting to see their rationale for changing a great cover to a blah one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks