Details: The Last Samurai

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TomWoodward, Feb 11, 2004.

1. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

Hey

Just got all the details on The Last Samurai which will be arriving the 4th May for around $29.95 in seperate anamorphic widescreen and full screen editions. Full specs are attached below. Artwork will be up in a sec:

Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
    French Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
    English Dolby Surround Stereo Track
    Audio Commentary by Director Edward Zwick
    History vs. Hollywood: The Last Samurai Documentary
    Tom Cruise: A Warrior's Journey Featurette
    Edward Zwick: Director's Video Journal
    Production Design with Lilly Kilvert Feature
    Costume Design with Ngila Dickson Feature
    From Soldier to Samurai: The Weapons Feature
    Deleted Scenes: The Beheading & Algren and Katsumoto
    Making an Epic: A Conversation with Edward Zwick
    Japan Premieres {Tokyo & Kyoto Red Carpet)
    DVD ROM Features: Weblink Etc
    English, French, Spanish Subtitles

[​IMG]

2. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Let me be the first to say I'm looking forward to this release. I'm glad they used that poster image instead of the giant floating Cruise head that overpowered the soundtrack cover.

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

same here as I was pleasantly surprised how good this was

[​IMG]

4. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

One copy please.

5. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I was really let down by this film, there was so much potential in the story but for me the big letdown was the script, which contained a lot of standard cliches. The production values were great and the battle sequences were well staged, in the acting department Ken Watanabe was the strong point. As a mild fan of Tom Cruise this wasn’t one of his best performances, he was one of the other weak points. Others have pointed out how this is like Dances with Wolves in Japan, the same thoughts crossed my mind when I was watching it. The only difference being DWW is leaps and bounds above this film (and I’m not overly keen on Costner).

I’ll have to wait until the release date draws closer for a decision on making a purchase because despite all the flaws it was a great looking film that I did mildly enjoy. On the DVD side the final battle should sound great especially when those cannons are fired. Like most Warner disc it looks like a top-notch presentation.

6. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

yeah hope they keep that art rather than pulling a switcheroo a la Open Range. I am still [​IMG] over that one...oh well. Life goes on. [​IMG]

7. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    Looks like a great set. Shame about the lack of DTS, since this film would benefit immensely from it. Still looks like a solid release and I plan to pick it up.

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

Really? I saw this in a Dolby Digital theater, and it sounded just fine.

- Steve

9. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Not a bad set of extras.

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

10. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

This was one of my favourite films from 2003. I really look forward to this release.[​IMG]

11. Raymond_H

Raymond_H Stunt Coordinator

Can't wait for this DVD.

I really enjoyed the movie, and the portrayal of the Samurai was really entertaining.

"History -vs- Hollywood" extra should be fun to watch.

Raymond

12. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

I'll probably be making a blind purchase as I think it looks like a pretty good movie. Will probably read up on reviews before I make final decision though.

13. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    It's well worth a blind purchase. The performances were first rate, and I'm still suprised Cruise did not get a Nomiantion for his role, but am pleased that Ken Watanabe, who portrayed the Samurai leader, was nominated for supporting actor.

14. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thanks for the info, Tom. I'll be picking this up, great movie. Hopefully they won't add a stupid quote to the cover later on.

15. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

Yay! No snap cancer... err case release by WB! Bravo!

Me and my girlfriend saw this movie and we loved it. Bought the poster too, which matches the (current) coverart! [​IMG]

Wish there was a DTS track though. [​IMG]

16. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

WB has never supported DTS and has no plans to support it in the future, as far as I know.

17. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Warner only did a handful of DTS titles, so no DTS on this disc is no surprise. But seeing as how its a two disc set and almost all the extras will more than likely be on the second disc, I am expecting nothing short of perfection for the picture master on this disc if Warners current track record is any inidication. Matrix Reloaded, Terminator 3....just amazing work on the AV side of their stuff. And for once it looks like a NEW movie from Warner will get a fitting special edition.

Cannot wait for this film.

18. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

I am so happy over this as you might guess by my current signature. I was afraid that since it was (unbelievably) overlooked for best picture, that it might not get a special edition. The extras look awesome. I do wish there was a way to get Watanabe's picture on the cover also--without the floating head solution. But I'll be snapping this one up no matter what.

Kudos once again to Warner.

19. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Count me in too. Great movie. Great Cinematography, Great Score, Outstanding performance from Kosomoto (sp?) and another Underrated Not appreciated performance from Tom Cruise.

20. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I can't believe that either. When this first came out, I thought it would be an Oscar contender, I am also disappointed with the Academy passing up on a nomination for Tom Cruise. So many people pass Tom Cruise off as a mediocre actor, I just don't understand why. He has been in some great films. And is a very good actor IMO. At least Ken Watanabe got nominated for best supporting actor, he really did steal the movie. He was amazing in it. I think it will be a toss up between him and Tim Robbins in that category.