What's new

Denon Dvd 3300??!!?? (1 Viewer)

Jim Thor

Grip
Hello all in cyber world.

I have a pressing question? I bought a Denon Dvd 3300 a few weeks back. Overall, awesome. However if you have this unit or just may know the reason, Is it this unit or just the model in general. The laser is so sensitive, If there is even just a small hair,smudge etc it will mess up! No, I dont just put anything in there, I do glance at the disc prior. Its just my old sony was never this sensitive!!!!

I thought it may be the unit, but after I clean the disc,perfectly, its fine....

Any one HELP ME...

Is this what I have to look forward to with this unit?

thanks Jim

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim, I don't have the Denon DVD-3300, but I have not heard of it being so sensitive. From what I read and from the appearance of the '3300, it uses the same transport as the Technics DVD-A10, which is known to be a very reliable player. I have the 'A10 and have never had a problem with it reading discs. You may want to contact Denon.

I, too, have a 3300. It flawlessly plays DVD-Audio discs, and I don't need a monitor to play the tracks. But, my unit is also very sensitive to some discs. I get frequent "blocks" and stutters on less than perfect discs. My unit was a uBid refurb, so I just assumed it was a bit "off" (and I'm not too concerned because I usually use a HTPC for movies).

What are your symptoms? In other words, what happens in response to the disc flaws. Do also get pauses/stutters and little blocks/squares in the picture? (like I used to get from DSS TV all the time?)

Ross

Jim Thor

Grip
Hey guys thanks,

Ross, your description is correct. I have direct tv, and when the disc has a smudge or lone hair the picture looks the same as the direct tv does just before you lose your picture on a rainy or snowy day. It cubes up and the sound is bizarre..

The odd thing being that its only on a few discs, and after I clean them its fine!!??

I bought mine new so ?????

It just appears to me that its one very sensitive laser/unit. I hope...

Jim Thor

Grip
I should correct myself. The biggest problem is on the dvd audio. The sound stutters and drops out.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim, it sounds like you have a problem with the laser assembly. Have you tried a laser lens cleaner? If that doesn't work, I would call Denon.

Jim,
I should have specified when I asked your symptoms that I would be of absolutely no help... :)
I was just curious if your problems were the same as mine. If you do get it fixed, please let me know what it was. Mine seems to have added a new problem, so maybe mine's getting worse. Sometimes, it'll try to read a DVD and stop with a "NO READ" error on the display and an on-screen message that it couldn't read that kind of disc. Today, I tried a dozen times to play my Castaway disc and I never could. When it would actually read the disc (which looks pristine), it would freeze up on the menu screen and then no buttons will respond. I had to power down each time.
This doesn't sound good. And, I made the mistake of buying a refurb off uBid and I'm sure it's out of warranty now.
Ross

Yup, I was right. I had a 90-day warranty and I'm beyond that.

Does anyone have any ideas before I send this thing somewhere?

Thanks and happy holidays to you all!

Ross

Okay, a lens cleaner disc did nothing. It looks like it's time to crack open the cover... cover me Goose, I'm going in!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks