dying Dennon AVR-3300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kendall, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Kendall

Kendall Auditioning

Hello everyone. I purchased my 3300 around 8 years ago and in the last 6 months or so have been plagued by a scrolling black bar on the video which continues to get worse and worse. My original HT purchases were all based on opinions from this site, so I figured this would be the best place to come back too. I have done a bit of reading here on my options, but would love some posible additional insight into those.

Getting it repaired: There is not a Denon authorized service center near me, but I will call around to price repair work.

Replacing it: This is where I am guessing I am most likely heading. Since I purchased the 3300 I have gone back to school, which means my disposable income has been greatly reduced. I currently use the receiver with a DVD player (S-video & optical), a CD-changer (optical), and a VCD (co-ax). This connects to an equally as old Sony 60" rear projection TV. Currently I am living in an apartment and have an Infinity 5-piece speaker setup with a Paradigm 12" sub (turned nearly off). My living arangments will not change in the near future unless I win the lottery, which also means I need to buy a ticket.

If I am looking to replace the receiver, what recommendations would you offer? Should I stick with a lower end Denon, or look elsewhere?

My budget for a receiver is around $300. I mostly use my receiver for watching movies.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    -Kendall

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

What is your receiver budget? Here are the models I would audition:

- Denon AVR-2307CI (being released this month)
    - Denon AVR-2807
    - Yamaha RX-V659 (great budget receiver)
    - Yamaha RX-V1600 (being replaced soon by the RX-V1700, you may find a great deal)

I wouldn't bother to repair an 8 year old receiver.. [​IMG]

3. dany

dany Supporting Actor

For the cost of repair,you can find a better used receiver for under 500 bucks easy,more likly around $300-400. Dakmart,audiogon.

4. Kendall

Kendall Auditioning

Sorry, updated OP with budget. With buying used, don't you run into the same issues I am currently having? The item is going to be older and therefore will not have a shorter lifespan?

Thanks,
    -Kendall

5. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Kendall - the Yamaha RX-V659 is the best receiver for HT in your price range. Otherwise I would definately consider searching for used receivers on AudiogoN. Let us know how it goes!

6. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

It comes down to preference. I would line up any receiver from Harman Kardon with that model Yamaha. I would in fact consider the HK avr-235 in that range.

7. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Everything in my system is used except for my Denon2805. I have had absolutely no problems with buying used audio/video equipment. Just make sure you buy it from a repitutable site like here or audiogon and that the person has good feedback.