Surround sound not working through HD TV...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JimS4210, Jul 31, 2006.

1. JimS4210

JimS4210 Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 42" Samsung Plasma and I'm having trouble getting the surround sound to work when watching Hi-def channels. I have a Denon AVR 3300 receiver and I have that connected to a Motorola Cable Box using an optical cable. Problem is, there's no sound. I was told by someone that I might have to assign the TV to the optical jack. I have no clue as to what I'm supposed to do. I tried reading the manual, but got nowhere. Everything else works perfectly - HD is crystal clear, DVD player sounds great in Dolby Digital - but I must be missing something obvious. If anyone has a Denon receiver and could walk me through it, I'd really appreciate it. BTW, the cable is a brand new Monster Cable Ultra 600 Fiber Optic and it is lit up on the end so it seems to be working.

Thanks, Jim

2. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

On that model (and most Denon models for that matter), there is a button labeled "SYSTEM SETUP" on the factory remote. When you are in System Setup, use the cursor keys on the remote to scroll down to the "5. Digital Inputs" submenu. Hit the center ENTER key and you can now scroll through the three optical inputs and assign OPT. 2 (or whichever you're trying to use for the cable box) to "TV" or whatever the equivalent on that model is.

3. JimS4210

JimS4210 Auditioning

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response. I have the factory remote and it works fine, but when I press the System Setup button, nothing happens. The System Setup button should activate the display on the receiver, right? Is there anyway to get to the menus using the controls on the receiver itself? If I can get to the Digital Input menu from the receiver I should be okay. Any ideas? Thanks again!

Jim

4. David_Miller

David_Miller Auditioning

The system setup button should be on the front of the unit. It is on the model I have. The menu will probably display on your TV as well as on the front display on the Denon. Once you get the hang of assigning the inputs it is really pretty simple, unfortunately, the "getting the hang of it" part is not simple. But I am clueless and I eventually figured it out.

5. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

On my Denon 1804, you have to connect the receiver to the television using the s-video cable to use the on screen display for setup. I leave the s-video connected to the denon and stowed behind my stuff, then whenever I want to change something I just connect it to the tv's front input.

6. JimS4210

JimS4210 Auditioning

AHA! I was trying to connect the receiver to the TV using a composite video cable. I guess that doesn't work... Off to Radio Shack to buy the right cable. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Jim

7. grosmechantloup

grosmechantloup Auditioning

Off Topic
    How many HD channels you got?On my Illico Receiver in Montreal from Videotron I get like only 10 Channels?

Thanks

8. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I'm in Montreal also, with Illico. We get very few HD channels with videotron. There are tons more in the US, and Bell Expressvu has more than Illico as well.
    21 channels, I think.

9. JimS4210

JimS4210 Auditioning

Thanks to everyone for the info. I bought an S-Video Cable, connected the receiver to the TV , selected the source and the on-screen menu came up. A few remote clicks later I had everything working perfectly. Everything sounds great coming out of my Polks, can't wait for Football and Hockey season!! Thanks again to all who responded...

Jim