What's new

Denon AVR-3802 Receiver question (1 Viewer)

Mark McQuaide

Auditioning
I have a question for the experts out there on the "Ext-in" function of the 3802. I have a Panasonic RKP-91 connected to the analog inputs on the Denon for DVD-Audio, going out to a complete Mirage speaker set with OM-7 towers, OMC2, OMR2, and a BPS 150 sub. I could just sit and listen to this system all day.

In the Denon's setup menu, there are options for speaker size, sub crossover freq., speaker timings, levels, etc. Are these settings effective in Ext-in mode? Since there's a direct analog cable for each of the 6 speakers, shouldn't the receiver just amplify the signals as they are and send them to the speakers? Why would a crossover setting be needed?

The RKP-91 also has settings for speaker size and timing. Should these be set as well? Wouldn't the settings "double up" if they are set in both the player and receiver?

Thanks! Audio systems have gotten slightly more complicated since I bought my last system in '83!

Mark

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Bad news, Mark. You're screwed for BM (bass management) on the EXT-INs. Only the flagship receivers (5803, 49TX) and the latest pre/pros have this capability. And worse yet, I think you'll find that the player's BM applies only to DD and DTS sources, not to DVD-Audio. A new digital interface between players and processors has not yet hit the market. Denon's 5803 DOES have such an interface but its implementation is flawed and thus still requires the 6 cables into the EXT-INs. Pioneer's updated flagship, the 49TXi, will have a digital interface (FireWire 1394) to connect to the Pioneer 47Ai universal (DVD-A/SACD) player - it should be out in a couple months. Most multi-channel music folk buy an Outlaw ICBM (approx. $250) which provides BM on the analog signals from the player. Good luck - sorry the news wasn't better. Early adoption is HELL!

Austin

Mark McQuaide

Auditioning
Thanks Austin,

Can you describe or point me to somewhere that describes just what bass management is? I assume it's the small/large speaker settings and crossover freq.

Also, what about the channel levels and timings on the Denon? Are they active in the EXT mode?

Thanks again!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks