Adding Old Turntable to HT Setup

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mike Garofano, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Mike Garofano

Mike Garofano Auditioning

I recently acquired (got dumped on me) an old, poor quality Montgomery Ward turntable with built-in dual-cassette decks (woo hoo!). As I didn't have any other turntables and recently received a handful of old vinyl EP's, I'd like to give this thing a shot.

The turntable has two speaker outputs (RCA connections). My question is, can I connect the speaker outputs from the turntable to the PHONO input on my Denon AVR-3802 so as to use my Denon to drive the turntable source through my main speakers? Or will the input level be too high? If so, what are my options?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It depends on what kind of cartridge that turntable sports. Is it magnetic (or, way less likely, moving coil)? It must be one of those two. If it possesses a ceramic cartridge, it's too low-level a unit to bother with.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The speaker outs are exactly that - speaker level. You'll smoke the input on the Denon. Actually, I don't know what'll happen - but it won't be good.

Throw that monkey ward in in the trash. But not the LP's. Just haunt Goodwill for a week and watch for something decent to turn up (TT that is).

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i definitely would *not* connect those rca's to your denon. i think you have something similar to what i had as a kid. the ends of the speakers terminated in an rca-style plug ... but in reality it's a speaker terminal.

but, now that i think about it ... i think my setup had a single cassette deck *and* an 8-track. sweet!

5. John S

John S Producer

Does it have a tape out? Those would be the outputs to use.

The speaker level would be a bad thing into any of the denon inputs for sure.