What's new

Denon 4802 or Onkyo 989 (1 Viewer)

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
I am getting set for an upgrade to my home theater, and right now I'm trying to decide between the Denon 4802 and the Onkyo 989 for my receiver. Both satisfy my basic needs: DPL2 and all the newest surround modes, 3 sets of component video inputs, and at least 3 optical digital inputs. But I have not heard either of them, and an in home audition is not an option, as I plan to buy from a local retailer (with a 6 or 12 month payment plan--I need DPL2 and I need it now!). :)
For speakers I will ultimately have Paradigm Studio 40s for fronts and surrounds, and Paradigm Titans as rears (I might upgrade these to Studio 20s). My receiver at the moment is a Marantz SR-7000, which has a sound that I thoroughly enjoy. I recently began to use it's 5-channel stereo mode with music, and it really has whet my appetite for the potential of multi-channel music, which makes it essential that I upgrade to DPL2.
I love the warm sound that the Marantz produces, and I'd like to improve upon that sound with DPL2 and one of these receivers. So which to choose? I know that the Onkyo is upgradable, but on that note I'm curious if that really is an issue for me. I'll likely be moving up to separates in a few years, so unless in that time some critical new format comes along, I should be set. So I guess it comes down to sound... which receiver wins in this category for music? For movies? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
This is highly subjective, but if you like the "Marantz" sound, I would go with the 4802 over the 989. I think the 4802 would be closer.
Nice choice of speakers to go with the Denon. Try to go with the 20's at the back if at all possible.
... Greg

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
Michael:
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I don't think it would satisfy me enough, as I wouldn't be able to hear the receiver with my own speakers. I appreciate the offer though.
Gregorious:
What exactly makes the Denon closer to the Marantz? Warmth? Have you tried both receivers?
Anyone else have experience with both/either receiver that can offer an opinion? Thanks.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Nothing against Denon or Onkyo, but if you like your Marantz SR-7000 and want DPL II, why aren't you considering the new Marantz SR-7200?
If the added power of the 4802 or 989 is the deciding factor, I hear Marantz is coming out with the higher-end 8200 and 9200 in November. Should be interesting, all these new units (including those from Yamaha) coming out before Christmas... competition is a wonderful thing, isn't it :)

GregoriusM

Second Unit
James_T: Yes, the warmth. And yes, I've listened to Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, and Integra. We have a nice selection of brands in our town.
But, if Marantz is coming out with the new higher powered receivers, I'd wait and have a look at them.

James_T

Stunt Coordinator
ChrisAG:
The SR-7200 only has two component inputs and two optical digital inputs, which rules it out immediately. In addition my budget ranges up to around $2500 (and potentially a bit beyond), so I can afford more. Any place I can get info on the new Marantz models (8200 and 9200)? I'm doubting that the 8200 will have enough component and optical inputs (given what the 8000 has), so that leaves the 9200. What exactly is this one an upgrade to? The SR-19EX? Or is it a new line for them?
I think the biggest factor though may be the fact that I can get the Onkyo or Denon from local retailers with 0% financing over many months, meaning that I can get one of them whenever I want. For the Marantz, I wouldn't be able to pick one up for some time, and even then I'd have to put off my purchase of additional speakers and a Prontopro as well.
Thanks for all your input so far, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks