Scam? Denon 4802 on Ubid for $1000 New

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Haze, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Ed Haze

Ed Haze Agent

This seems a little shady to me. The 'ship from location' says Europe while the 'ship from postal code' says 12435 which is a New York State zip code. There is an Onkyo 989 going for $1000 as well from the same seller. Anyone else find this fishy?

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I looked up the Onkyo 989. They have no seller ratings yet and the method of payment is money order.

Yeah, this looks suspicious to me.

3. Mark KU

Mark KU Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I wouldn't go near them. Ubid seems pretty bad for this. I remember a while back people were scamming digital projectors too.

4. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

About a two months ago there was a new seller, again from Europe with 5 new 4802's going for around $1000 as well. Only accepted money order, very much the same looking deal as this dude. I emailed him to ask about where he got them and if any other payment could be arranged. He would accept ONLY money order - so you've got NO recourse when he absconds with your money. Claims he got them from his "uncle" who worked in customs in the Eastern bloc country where he was selling these from....WAYYYYYY too fishy for me. If I remember right someone bid $6000 for all five and pretty much closed the auction. I'm guessing they were never sold and the guy was told to go pound sand.

5. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I know this is off topic, but I have a comment...

I've never liked Ubid. I don't like the way their pages are laid out and they never have had what I am looking for. Ebay is far superior in my opinion.

6. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

Dito!! The one thing I did get from ubid. They sent an e-mail saying We have a stock problem(didnt have any) How are they gonna loose 24 subwoofers? Ubid is terrible!!

7. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

One thing I like about Ubid is that if you buy from Ubid and not from one of the Non-ubid sellers you can be pretty certain you will get what you bid on. So you don't have to worry about getting ripped off like on E-bay. I believe that Ubid receives overstocks and old models from store like tweeter. I got my Toshiba 3109 a few years ago on Ubid for $80 back when DVD players where still relatively expensive.

Ken

8. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I know everyone has their own take on these kinds of things but my experience leads me to agree with Ken. The UBID auctions are much better handled than the private party/consumer sales/auctions, especially when it comes to payment options. As the original post shows, limited cash payment options equals a red flag.

Every UBID item I have entered a bid on and won was also shipped very promptly including my latest H/K 510 acquisition. Darn thing shipped out in one day and were it not for the 'never on the weekend if ground' UPS policy it would have arrived in two.

9. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

I have made several purchases from Ubid and all have been completely satisfactory. I have not purchased from the non-Ubid sellers and certainly agree the items in this topic look very suspicious....I'd really like to know the outcome of these auctions!!!

Wyatt

10. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I used to use Ubid quite a bit but it has been going downhill for the last year or so IMO. It was a much better place when they were more like an outlet store for overstocks and refurbished. It probably has more to do with popularity, but it just does not seem as though the same deals can be found. Unbelievably I think they have actually gotten a bit better with the shipping but it is still piracy. I've never like the organization either but that has never stopped me from a deal.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I avoid Ubid like the plague. Between these dubious sellers of high-end receivers to their reputation for shipping defective merchandise and being difficult to deal with for resulting refunds, I won't ever consider buying through them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Dave_Dunk

Dave_Dunk Auditioning

I don't know if this is the same guy, but you should check out the review section of the Denon 4802 on Audioreview for proof that he's a con artist. Some poor guy just lost $1000 by wiring his payment to this slimeball. I was SOOOOOO tempted to throw in a bid for one of the 4802's that he was "selling", but the whole thing just stank real bad. In the end I went and got my from an authorized retailer. If it sounds to good to be true...

Dave

13. Gail M

Gail M Agent

We've bought many items from Ubid, HOWEVER, we ONLY buy from Ubid, and NOT from participating sellers. If the item is not in Ubid's warehouse, we don't bid period. Parasound, Harmon International, Denon, Sony, ADA, Klipsch(all divisions) and Sherwood Newcastle all use Ubid to sell overstocked, refurbished and old models(or soon to become old models)from their warehouses.

On those rare occasions where Ubid had miscounted an item and no longer had it available for sale, after we'd won an auction, we demanded and got an online credit which we applied to our next winning auction, thereby getting free shipping. We once also have done the same when we got a refurb which was advertised as new.

If you do your homework, be careful, and are lucky, you can get some real nice bargains on Ubid.

14. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

I agree with Gail. Only buy from uBid if uBid is the actual seller. The only reason a third party person would sell on uBid is because they cannot do so on eBay.

--Steve

15. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

Well, this was on ebay last night... an Onkyo 989 that went for $750 on the Buy It Now. Located in Spain it says.

DUE TO THE CONDITIONS FROM THE COUNTRY WHERE I FOUND THESE SMART PRODUCTS WE CAN ACCEPT ONLY MONEY ORDER WIRE TRANSFER.WE CAN'T ACCEPT COD,ESCROW,PAY PAL,CREDIT CARDS!IF YOU AGREE THE PRICE AND OUR TERMS YOU CAN HAVE THIS SMART PRODUCTS VERY FAST I HAVE MORE THAN ONE PRODUCT!!! ONLY SERIOUS PERSONS WHO INTEND TO BUY!!!

There was a Denon 5800 that went for the same price, from the same person, with the same disclaimer.