1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about thx processing of dts-es on upgraded Integras & Onkyos

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jorossy, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Jorossy

Jorossy Stunt Coordinator

Question for owners of the Onkyo 989 or Integra 9.1 that have upgraded to dts-es discreet. Since the new Denon 4802 can THX process dts-es discreet soundtracks, can the upgraded Onkyos or Integras do this too? This will help me with my decision on which one to get.

2. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    I just installed my upgrade this past week. The DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix modes are independent of THX processing.
    In the listening mode set-up menu you can select whether or not you want to have the Re-EQ on or off. This selection is always on during THX processing and sort of mutes the sound a bit. I tend not to use THX processing unless the software is THX mastered and even then it's on an individual basis. Sometimes the THX mode limits the sound output so you have to turn it louder. At least, this is how it is on the Onkyo. Don't know about any other THX ULTRA units.
    My Onkyo DS-TX989 has a speaker selection where you can turn on all 7 speakers without engaging the THX processing and that applies to Dolby Digital, DTS, DPL-II and DTS Neo.
    Very cool indeed. Also, none of the current DD THX EX DVDs have the flag to engage the unit automatically, however, all DTS discs (DVD and LD)will engage the THX EX Surround and now the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 or DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 mode as long as the DTS-ES setting is on AUTO in the listening mode menu.
    Cheers!
    Harry
    ------------------
    i'm not policing what you think and dream...
    -Tori Amos "Concertina"

3. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator

Is there a document on this upgrade? I got mine done, and I see the DPLII but no DTS-ES
    ------------------
    Mits 55805 HDTV
    Integra DTR 9.1 THX Ultra Receiver
    Toshiba 6200 Progressive Scan DVD
    Energy MicroStar 12.1 Sub
    Pics
    DVD Collection

4. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    I don't know of any document. However, there is a info document at the dts website (in Adobe Acrobat) that you can download in regards to DTS-ES and DTS Neo:6.
    Also, I've found that once THX processing is engaged, while in the AUDIO mode on your remote, that if you hit the TEST/TV/VCR button once to test the speaker levels and then hit it once again to disengage the speaker test mode, the sound increases considerably. A glitch perhaps? Maybe, but it does the trick and it gets rid of that muted quality that many have complained about.
    I just got a SACD player (the inexpensive SCD-CE775) and it's fantastic through the multi-channel inputs! Does anyone know where I can purchase another DB-25 to RCA Female cable? I also have a DVD-Audio player and it's a bit of a bother having to disconnect and reconnect those six cables! It would be much easier to just have them all connected to seperate DB-25 cables and then that would mean only one cable to disconnect and reconnect at a time.
    Cheers!
    Harry
    ------------------
    i'm not policing what you think and dream...
    -Tori Amos "Concertina"

5. EdQ

EdQ Stunt Coordinator