What's new

Denon 3802 (1 Viewer)

Vishwa Somayaji

Stunt Coordinator
For those of you looking for official announcement of Denon 3802, their website has been updated. There isn't the usual information such as owner manual, brochure, picture etc. For the benefit of members I just copied the basic info. Here it goes:
Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 A/V Receiver • Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes • DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding • DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding • DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding • Dolby Digital decoding, including Matrix 6.1 decoding • DDSC-Digital featuring Analog Devices SHARC 32 bit floating point DSP processor • 7 Channels equal power amplifier section • 110 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Awwwwww. I need money.
furious.gif

Curse my young age!

J

John Morris

So, other than the additional 5 watts per channel amp power and the DPL-2 DSP mode, what has been improved over the 3801? Does it allow you to assign the center rear channel amps to multizone while allowing you to use and calibrate the center rear preouts for 7.1 use with external amps? What makes this unit 30%(according to current costs) better than the 3801?
------------------
Take Care,
merc

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
John,
Really useless adjustable bass management crossover settings unless you happen to have a Bose system.
biggrin.gif

They should have gone the other way with 40 and 60 Hz instead along with the standard 80 Hz.
Dan

David Judah

Screenwriter
What makes this unit 30%(according to current costs) better than the 3801?
John, don't forget the adjustable crossover(80,100,120). :)
Seriously though, I was messing around with it a little and it sounded a bit smoother than the 3801--more like the 3300(this was at work, so I didn't test it as critically as I would at home).
Even though you can get a good closeout price on the 3801, I'd say the extra money is worth having the newer unit and DPL II.
The 3801 was the mid-priced receiver of the year during its run, IMO, and the 3802 is a worthy successor.
DJ

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I will second that point. Why even bother with 20 Hz increments? How difficult is it to go from 40Hz up to 100Hz in 10Hz increments?
------------------
Paul Wu
"There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
Good day, eh, for those that would like to see Strange Brew released on dvd, please click here, and add your name, eh.

Picked one up yesterday :)
It's still sitting in the box..
Can't wait to get home a finish running speaker wires through the walls and start setting everything up.
Here's what I have home and what is on it's way.
ProScan 65" HDTV - Arrives 2nd week of August.
Denon 3802 - Home
Paradigm Monitor 7's Mains - Arrives next week
Paradigm Monitor CC370 Center - Home
Paradigm Dipolar surround ADP-170 - Home
I have an old Polk PSW300 Sub for now (I think that's the model #). Still working on convincing the wife on the SVS 20-39PC.
My wife likes the idea on having all components from the same manufacture. But I'm hearing mixed threads on the Denon 2800 DVD player. I am also looking into the Panasonic RP91.
I guess since the TV has not arrived. I have some time to think about it.
Any comments on the DVD players will be appreciated.
Thanks,
LP
biggrin.gif

------------------

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Luciano-
I have both the Denon 2800 and the Panasonic 91. Although both great players compared to a history of many players, I would recommend the 91 over the 2800. Time will tell what the new Denon 4800 DVD player will be like. Rumor has it it will be using a Genesis chip, rather than the Silicon Image one.
------------------
Sound InSight Audio Video
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
What makes this unit 30%(according to current costs) better than the 3801?
putting the x-over's aside; cuz they are practically useless for full range speaker owners; i'd say perhaps the availability of 24/96 DACS on all channels.. but then i'm unfamiliar with the 3801 and whether it had the same feature, and also if this enables the 3802 to decode the new DTS format.
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

David Judah

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, John-D, you will also need a DSP in the receiver that decodes the new DTS format, but no manufacturers to my knowledge have announced its inclusion in any of their products--looks like next year.
DJ

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for that info David..
this leaves DPL-II between the 3801 and 2802. Prospective buyers can decide if how much of a premium they are willing to pay for that.. I'm waiting for the Outlaw.. and i'm sure i'm not alone
wink.gif

------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Id like to know if the advertised 110 watts is closer to the actual figure than the 3801's 105 watts.
The 3801 was tested and found to actually be around 87 watts if i recall.
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

GregoriusM

Second Unit
It's not just DPL2 and the extra 5 watts.
Apparently bigger power supply. DDSC circuitry is upraded. Greater isolation of microprocessor circuitry from power/amp area. A couple of other things I've forgotten.
Since I've heard already 3 people say its sound is back to being "warmer" like the 3300, I'd say Denon listened to the complaints about it not having the Denon sound and changed what they needed to in order to get that sound back.
And, if people have full range speakers, what are you worried about the crossover for anyway? Just put it in Full Range plus Subwoofer mode.
For the rest of us that have decent speakers, but that go only down to the 50 to 60 hz range, and they say you should have a full octave between the x-over and the lower limits of your speaker, then the Denon's 80, 100, 120 are quite good.
Take the Energy Encore 6 speaker setup. It's a nice HT theater setup, but the center STARTS at 90 hz. Many very decent non-floorstanding speakers, if you take into account that octave needed, fall into that category.
We're in mid-fi territory here. And I think it is a wel-rounded receiver for the market it is intended.
And you'll never be able to compare it to the Outlaw 950. Same price, no amps.
IMHO.
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Does this unit have 3 optical inputs and only 1 digital coax input like its recent predecessors?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks