What's new

5.1 vs 6.1 surondsound speaker placement/Denon 3802?. (1 Viewer)

iosman001

Auditioning
Real Name
iosman001
Hello,

I just installed my 1st HT with a Denon 3802 receiver. In the instruction for 6.1 it recommends placing the surrondsound speaker placement slightly forward beyond normal placement to get the sound to float in mid air. I took this to mean slightly in front of my ears by 2 feet. Was this a correct interpretation? I am not getting the sound I think I should get out of a 5.1 DVD for I here the sound in front of me of course. But DTS 6.1 sound fine. The problem is most DVD are not 6.1 encoded. Should I move the speaker back 2-4 feet or since I have the seem to have the option on the 3802 buy another set of surrondsound place them 2-4 feet from the 1st set of speakers and select them when playing 5.1. DVDs. Or am I not able to select the "B" set of speaker on 3802 for this purpose?

thanks
iosman

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I looked at the graphic with the 3802 on speaker placement, and I'd put it this way. They say the surround speakers in a 5.1 system should go in the rear corners of the room. I disagree. They should go to the sides of the viewer, which is where you should have them. Not in front of the viewer. Then, with a 6.1 there is also a single speaker at the center of the rear wall, and with 7.1 there are two speakers on the rear wall, spaced about the same as the front left and right speakers.

iosman001

Auditioning
Real Name
iosman001
Hello,

I just installed my 1st HT with a Denon 3802 receiver. In the instruction for 6.1 it recommends placing the surrondsound speaker placement slightly forward beyond normal placement to get the sound to float in mid air. I took this to mean slightly in front of my ears by 2 feet. Was this a correct interpretation? I am not getting the sound I think I should get out of a 5.1 DVD for krogerfeedback talktosonic talktowendys I here the sound in front of me of course. But DTS 6.1 sound fine. The problem is most DVD are not 6.1 encoded. Should I move the speaker back 2-4 feet or since I have the seem to have the option on the 3802 buy another set of surrondsound place them 2-4 feet from the 1st set of speakers and select them when playing 5.1. DVDs. Or am I not able to select the "B" set of speaker on 3802 for this purpose?

thanks
iosman

thanks my issue has been fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brupaste
Recent bookmarks