What's new

Denon 3802 vs Onkyo 797 (1 Viewer)

Jamson Wu

Auditioning
I'm debating between the Denon 3802 or Onkyo 797 , any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing audio dropout with Pearl Harbor or JP3 with the onkyo? Thanks.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT AUDIO DROPOUTS! The dropouts only occur in Dolby Digital on thsoe two discs. Both the discs are encoded with DTS anyway, and the DTS tracks sound more than spectacular. It is not a problem with Onkyo receivers, becasue the problems affects just about all receivers, which is what Dolby Laboratories said. If you want 7.1 amplification, the I guess you have no choice but the 797, but if you are only running a 6.1 setup, or don't have the cash for 7.1 right now, the 797 is far better. The Denon has good sound, but the Onkyo has better sound, although I must admit, I don't think you could go wrong with either. The 797 does have WAY mroe digital inputs though, 4 optical and 3 coax with one opt out, while the 3802 only has 3 opt in and one out, with one coax cable. The digital ins on the 3802 might be fine for you now, but in the long run, a few more would be good, you never know what you might buy next that will use digital inputs. Also, the 797 has 192khz/24bit DAC's and is THX certified and has THX surround EX. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but I would recommend the 797 for features and sound and ergonomics. (I own a 797, but I did lots of comparision with the 3802 before purchase). Good luck!

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle;

I must disagree with you regarding not worrying about the drop-outs. Yes its true that the two JP3 and PH both have DTS, but what will happen when the next disc that is encoded with the special 6 channel flag doesn't have DTS? Rest assured, those two discs won't be the last to have this problem... that's pretty much been confirmed. And with Dolby, the studios, and the hardware companies each pointing the blame at each other, it may be a long while before anything gets done about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks