What's new

Denon vs. Onkyo.. you're valued opinion please! (1 Viewer)

Chris Clarno

Agent
Real Name
Christian
I am about to replace my old Onkyo 828. It's a great piece of gear but I've outgrown it. (any offers) This is my second Onkyo receiver and I've been very happy with both! However in my research for possible substitutes, Denon keeps eating at me with their 3802 and 2802. So here's the deal, I want to spend $1000 or under and I want a quality unit. (both Onkyo and Denon fit the bill) I would like the opinion of you my esteemed HTF colleagues to voice your opinion...

Denon 2802 vs. Onkyo 797

Denon 3802 vs. Onkyo 898

Note: I do not currently own an HD monitor but that will be comming in the next year or so. From what I understand the Onkyo's component video inputs pass a 50MHz signal while the Denon is limited to 27MHz. How will that affect things? Thanks guys I'll look foward to hearing from you.

Regards~

Christian

P.S. If you own one of these units? Where did you buy ot and what was the cost?

Jason_Hil

Auditioning
The denon 2802 has the 27mhz for component switching. I believe the 3802 and up have a higher rate. I also suggest to you, that you do not limit yourself to just these. Test out as many brands as possible. While both are great for theatre, they just cannot compete with others in 2 channel music and in general, the processing of music. High current amps, and recievers will let you see what music should be sounding like, and may make you think you should save up more or look in buying a preamp to drive your mains. I suggest for a reciever you check out the B&K due to its high current, and much better power. Try mcintosh,krell, rotel, or any others for amps. It may be out of your price range, but it gives you an idea of what things can sound like if you are interested in music just as much as movies. But for the 1,000 price range, compare yamaha, marantz, denon, onkyo. Try them all out, they all give a different sound.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

I own the 898 and I couldn't be happier. The sound quality is amazing, setup and ease of use are a welcome change...the remote controls all of my components...did I mention that it sounds fantastic. I love the fact that it converts composite to S-Video and allows me to use a single video monitor cable to my TV. This will change when I upgrade my television (it doesn't convert anything to component) but for now it is a nice feature. I got mine for $1050 shipped from J&R.

Thanks,

Jeff

PS - It wasn't a value proposition for me...other manufacturers just didn't sound as good to me. I think it also looks much better, but this was not a deciding factor...just a bonus.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow Chris you've had that 828 for a long time. I remember even before I replaced my 828 with my 919 we both had the same receiver.
Well, have you been happy with the 828? Has it sounded good to you, and held up all these years? Personally I'm a pretty "brand loyal" type, so I'd gravitate towards another Onkyo if I were in your shoes. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I looked at the 3802 and 898 when I was researching upgrades from my old Sony 50ES. Both were good receivers at their price point. The items I disliked about the 3802 were no front A/V inputs (I have a Hi8mm camcorder that I plug in to dub to SVHS) and a limited number of digital inputs -- I would have used up three of the four available inputs on day one. Depending on your needs, neither of these items may be an issue.

TimothyW

Grip
Actually, both the denon 2802 and 3802 have 27mhz for component switching. The product details listed on Denon's website state that the receivers are "..compatible with wideband (480p, 720p, 1080i) response for progressive DVD, DTV.", but what does that really mean? Does anyone know how this will affect things?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I have the 3802($800) and it is fine. The 898 is one step up for $300-$400 extra. The Sony 5es is a good one for $795. If I were rich I would get the 989. But the 3802 meets all your basic needs.:emoji_thumbsup:

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I would strongly consider the Sony. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55614
I actually like Sony receivers, particularly the higher end. They have good remotes and a nice, intuitive interface, neither of which can be said for Denon. Denon OTOH has the better reptuation among audiophiles. Barring the Sony, for a grand I would get the Onkyo TX-DS898.

Chris Clarno

Agent
Real Name
Christian
Thanks for all the quick responces guys! Philip, you're right. I have had the 828 for a long time and it has served me very well. The 916 served me well before that. I think I'm leaning for the Onkyo but before i drop $800-1200 I wanted to get the respected opinions of you folks here at the HTF! Any opinions on the 797, it's a few hundred bucks less than the 828. That $$$ could be put to good use towards a new HD set!:) thanks again guys, this is why I love this place!!!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I demoed the 3802, the Onkyo 595 and 696 and I was relatively impressed with each of them. Both are fairly warm and powerful. I still went with my Marantz SR6200 though, because music sounded better with it than any of the others and was quite a bit less than the 3802 (locally). I don't think you could go wrong with the 797 or the 3802.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I don't think you could go wrong with either the Denon or the Onkyo. I ended up with the Onkyo 898. I liked the sound better and the remote is really nice.

I second J and R. They have great prices and service.

i just asked this question in the polls area, i went with the onkyo 898 ,set up was easy ,movies rock the house and the pure audio button for 2 channel music sounds great thur my polk rt1oooi.

Duncan Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I can't comment on the Denon's, having not used either model, but I've got the Onkyo 797, and am happy with it. Happy enough that I can't really say all that much about it. It just sits in my rack and does its thing. :)
I've had this unit since Novemberish, and have only two real nitpicks with it: The remote sensor on the unit could be positioned a bit better, and the video passthrough gets a little bit fuzzy (only) when the OSD is on.
But both of those issues are really minor in the overall scheme of things. Recommended.

Chris Clarno

Agent
Real Name
Christian
So If I stick with Onkyo _that's how I'm leaning at this point), is it worth spending the extra dough for the 898 or is the 797 sufficient?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Chris,

The 797 is also THX certified. If you are not going to be running 2 center surrounds then the 797 will be fine. It has all of the same processing modes as the 898 and it does have 7.1 pre-outs for all channels(including a 2nd center surround should you ever get an outboard amp). I picked the 797 because I already have a Parasound 5 ch. HT amp to power the center surrounds and my front soundstage. The 797 is a good value for the $$.

I Own the TX-DS898. With a room size of 12 x 32 feet, I just didn't think one rear center surround speaker would
carry the sound forward virtually 20-feet(The sweet spot)
With 2-rear-surround speakers the sound is well
the TX-DS898 was the right choice for this reason and
with Pure-Audio-Circuitry and the ability to later
use the powered-Zone-2 in stereo while maintaining
5.1 in the main-room. Ohh did I mention the cleaner
more refined look with the front-panel-door.
Given these four features for an additional
$200.00 dollars it comes down too what best fits your
HT-environment and your wallet. ;)

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Paul. Get whatever best suits your HT and budget. I have the 797 and could be happier. My room is 18x13, so the need for the 2nd center surround speaker wasn't a priority. My 6.1 setup suits me perfectly.

I also recommend J&R. They had excellent prices for both the 797 and 898. Good Luck.

Chris

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

if you like the sound of your current Onkyo, then you are likely to find the sound of the Denon quite different, and probably not as pleasing to your ears. The only way to tell for sure is to try them each out in your own home.

Marty

Users who are viewing this thread