What's new

Onkyo TX-DS797 vs Denon 3801/3802 (1 Viewer)

Dave Cl

Auditioning
I've done some research over the past couple of days and have narrowed down what I -think- to be my best options to these three (this will be my first REAL receiver).

I'm going to be listening probably to half music, half movies, half xbox. I guess that adds up to 1.5. So be it.

The speakers I'll be using are 5.1 Infinity Entra point 5 (retail 999). They're obviously not even close to audiophile, but I hope they suit me. Also, I plan on upgrading speakers in the next couple of years and will keep whatever receiver I buy now. (actually I'm subless at the moment which I plan to fix ASAP, still researching subs though, want 100W something or other, my place is fairly small, 700 sq feet total apartment).

How will music quality from CD compare between these three units? The 797 and 3802 offer DPLII. 797 gives THX for movies, but I'm sure theatre quality of 3802/3803 is pretty freakin good.

Has anyone auditioned these three systems and found any notable differences? I'm also going to consider the TX-DS898 as I do more research and check out features.

I think I can get Onkyo stuff pretty cheap living in Hong Kong (especially year-old stuff, they throw away stuff amazingly fast in HK), these seem to be a lot cheaper than Denon there for whatever reason (using MSRP and ebay as a reference).

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Tony Murillo

Auditioning
here are a couple of links to 797 reviews:
cnet review
user reviews
A google or overture search on these manufacturer and model numbers should net you many more references and reviews.
For what it's worth,
I've had a TX-SV727 for about 5 yrs now and have been very pleased with it. Excellent HT experience and monstrous build quality. Only drawback is I want to go to 6.1 and am currently considering the 797 and 898.
Other people reported the "clicking" problem so it would be your choice whether to consider this as an issue or not.
Admittedly, I'm biased toward Onkyo because of the quality and performance I've experienced.
If you can get year old Onkyo equipment for very cheap, I'd be interested in setting up a transaction. PM or email me.

Damon_K_S

Auditioning
Guys Dont mess with the 797 or 898 read all the posts about the problems plus Onkyos poor servive go for thsr800 if you want an ONKYO, I had the 797 and went thrugh hell to get it exchanged for the sr800, and Ill tell you I can hear a big difference in the 2.

Dave Cl

Auditioning
Hey

Tony, don't think I'll be finding deals THAT cheap in Hong Kong, they'll just be a hundred or so cheaper than ebay I think, so nothing amazing, but still good if you live there. Shipping anywhere else would almost erase the difference, but I'll let you know if I get lucky.

Damon, I'm not worried about service, but will watch out for probs if I go for the 797. You could tell a significant difference in sound quality between the SR800 and 797? It would surprise me if it was noticeable, on what kind of stuff do you hear a diff? Can you expand?

Tony Murillo

Auditioning
dave found another link to a roundup of users that experienced the "audio dropout" and clicking problems with the 797 and 898's.
Really makes me re-think my consideration of these two Onkyo models.
link
Also found a Stereo Review's rating of actual power vs manufacturer's rated power for many different receivers.
Interesting........very interesting......
Keep us posted on your hunt.:D

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I have had the 797 for 14 months and have not experienced the problems (thankfully) that others have. Perhaps I am in a good run. I have had both the Onkyo and Denon products and found both to be excellent.

My personal thought is that Denon does a better job with home theater and Onkyo does a better job with music. Just my thoughts.

Damon, what differences do you hear between the 797 and 800?

Damon_K_S

Auditioning
The main difference that I have noticed between the 2 are power, I know the wattage is the same on the 2 (rated at 100) but the sr800 seems to boast a little more than the 797, I use my receiver 80% home theater 20 music, and at the normal listening level the 800 sounds louder and clearer. Maybe Im biased because of all the trouble the 797 gave me. But this receiver(sr800) sounds much better. Im using paradigms all the way around, and it was the same setup for both units.

Eddie_S

Auditioning
Dave,

I have the 797 for over 3 month now and doesn't have any problems of any kind, dropouts or otherwise. I actually had both the 797 and the 800, side by side, at home at the same time for about two weeks. I prefer the 797's sound and separation. The main reason I kept the 797 though is that it doesn't get hot at all while the 800 can get very hot and I do play my music and movies loud! The display on the 797 is much better and can be easily read from across the room.

I think Onkyo made a major design change when they made the 800 but it may not be completely in the right direction. I'd sit this one out. Don't get me wrong, I am an Onkyo loyal fan and have upgraded from a great 727 that served me well for over 6 years and is still running well. I think you get a lot more value for your money with Onkyo than any other major brand.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Eddie_S,

Why do you think that is (heat)? Perhaps the extra channel of amplification or did they eliminate the internal fan.

I appreciate your comment as I was going to push to get my 797 replaced for the 800 as I do not want to experience the problems others have had. Perhaps I will hold off.

Eddie_S

Auditioning
Phil,

I don't know for sure but it may be the extra channel. My experience with both the 727 and 797 is that they both get warm but not hot. The 7*7 series all followed same design concept as far as heat treatment and the 800 maybe designed differently. I don't know if they deleted the fan but I really never noticed a fan running on either the 727 or 797 to the point that I didn't know there was a fan inside!!

Onkyo may have fixed the dropout problem with the 797 on recent units as I've never experienced it nor the clicking noise. I am a little nostalgic to the 7*7 series also so the 797 was a natural upgrade for me. Nevertheless, the 800 looks great on paper and has several upgrades that may be useful to you.

My advice is to see if you can demo it at a local store and crank the volume up for a good 10 min. This will give you an idea on how hot it will get after watching a movie or playing loud music for 2 or 3 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks