Onkyo 797 vs. Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hennigan, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Any thoughts on this matchup? Which is better?

I'm looking for a good receiver that's not more than $1k. I think I'm leaning toward the Onkyo, but I don't know for sure.

Are there any other receivers in the under $1,000 price range that are better or as good as these?

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

The main feature difference is that the 3802 has 7 amped channels, and the Onkyo has 6. This matters if you want a 6.1 system with 2 rear surrounds. The Onkyo has THX Select Cert, if that matter to you. The Onkyo has a better remote and IMO a more intuitive interface. This DOES matter unless you are very well versed with these kinds of components. I have the 3801 and I like it, but wonder if I should not have grabbed an Onkyo.

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

What type of speakers do you have ? Do you need the 7th channel of amplification. Are you looking for the best feature set or a certain type of sound ?

I had both the 797 and 3801. They were both great on movies, but I slightly preferred the warmer sound of the denon. The onkyo may have a slight lead in HT, but I preferred the denon on music.

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I have heard and compared those two receivers and have concluded that, A)THX-Select Certification does not mean anything,B) The 3802 definitely comes across as the more powerful receiver between the two and C) THX-Ultra does make a difference where power is concerned.

5. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    I don't have any speakers at the moment, the receiver is part of the new HT I'm puting together.

The receiver will get time with both HT and music, but the emphasis will be on HT.

6. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Well, I feel that the 797 is stronger than the 3802 in music soudn wise and in HT I feel that the 797 is also stronger. I demoed the two side by side wish both a Paradigm Ref system and a B&W CDM system, both running off of a Paradigm Ref Sub. With both systems the Onkyo sounded better.