What's new

Denon 3802 or Marantz 7200 (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
First I had my mind set on the Onkyo 696 but read some stuff about the Denon. And so was set again for Denon (even have an online authorized site at a good price). But here comes the Marantz SR 7200 which is cheaper. I am though a bit confused with the specs. The 3802 does DTS ES discreet but not DD 6.1, correct? The 7200 does DD 6.1 but not DTS ES discreet? Am I to understand that DD EX or 6.1 is matrixed and never discreet?
Also, there's this thing about x-over which I may have a grasp of..I think. My main concern right now is am I leaving out a format by buying one of these fine receivers? I am a Star Wars fan (even bought an LD player for TPM) and I'd hate it if I won't be able to hear DD 6.1. But I also love DTS and listening to ES is one of my dreams.
BTW, the speakers I will be using is a 6.1 Atlantic Technology 350 THX. See?...I even got 6....
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
From my understanding, DTS ES is the only discrete 6.1 format. Perhaps you could share the price and website where you got such a good deal as I am considering this receiver myself.
thanks

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
According to the manual, the Denon can't do DD 6.1, but rather it can convert a 5.1 signal to 7.1. Now, if you tell it that you only have a single surround back channel, then maybe it'll do 6.1...but I am just guessing at that last bit.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Gil D

Supporting Actor
DD6.1 matrixed included.
Yeah, I think they have to call it "matrixed" 6.1 and not THX since they are not certified as a THX component.
The Denon does all of the digital formats so you can't go wrong there: DPL, DPL2, DTS Neo, DD5.1 DD6.1 MTRX, DTS5.1, DTS ES discrete 6.1, DTS ES 6.1 MTRX...whew! Did I forget any? How about 5/7 channel stereo - excellent for parties in my setup.
But I bet the Marantz is no slouch either. Rarely do I see a complaint on any of the Marantz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks