1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Source hiss and the Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary TP, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 3802 and I notice hiss when I play cd's at higher volumes (-10 and up) and it is noticible during quiet parts of the tracks... When I pause the DVD player that is playing the CD's, I hear no hiss nor do I hear hiss at full volume when there is no cd playing. This is a key fact since I understand that this is normally then pointed at the source material. The Hiss is also less on DDD recordings.
    The thing is: When I demoed the same track on a marantz 7200 with the same speakers in the store I heard very little hiss... Could this be anything in the system? Do some components magnify the source hiss when taking older recordings (like the Star Wars: ESB soundtrack special edition I demoed) and others lower it?

Here's my system for playing the 2-chan CD's:
    Paradigm Monitor 11 v3 Mains
    Denon 3802
    Panasonic RP62 (DVD & CD Player) - AR Optical Interconnect
    Home Depot 12' Spkr wire w/ monster twist banana plugs

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

are you using an analog or a digital connection? When you pause the source using a digital connection, the 3802 will mute the output which is why you hear no hiss. Try setting the reciever to analog, pause the source, turn it up to -10, and check for the hiss.

3. Gary TP

Using analog I also get no hiss when the volume is full (aside from a normal less than 1-foot away hiss)- so the reciever should be fine as far as the amp is concerned...

Could the dvd, pre/pro, or speaker wire introduce the hiss while the music is playing?

4. Gary TP

Would a line conditioner help like a Monster Power 1000/2000?

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

6. Gary TP

Well the store I auditioned at was a sound proofed room and whisper quiet. Perhaps I am just being a bit more picky now that I own them.

I guess I could always give a line conditioner or noise canceller a shot if it will help lower the hiss from the tweeter...

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Gary: the stores system and your home system are very different.

First - disconnect your CATV cable from your system. Does the hiss go away? The CATV feed often injects noise into the electronics ground.

Second - try disconnecting all other sources to the receiver. Does the hiss go away? if so, re-connect each device and test to find which one is injecting noise.

Hope this helps.

8. Gary TP

The only thing I have connected is a brand new dvd player optically...
    The CATV and everything else is not run through the receiver

I wonder if I should just preorder the 3803 instead...those better DAC's should help correct?

G