Source hiss and the Denon 3802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary TP, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Gary TP

Gary TP Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 3802 and I notice hiss when I play cd's at higher volumes (-10 and up) and it is noticible during quiet parts of the tracks... When I pause the DVD player that is playing the CD's, I hear no hiss nor do I hear hiss at full volume when there is no cd playing. This is a key fact since I understand that this is normally then pointed at the source material. The Hiss is also less on DDD recordings.
    The thing is: When I demoed the same track on a marantz 7200 with the same speakers in the store I heard very little hiss... Could this be anything in the system? Do some components magnify the source hiss when taking older recordings (like the Star Wars: ESB soundtrack special edition I demoed) and others lower it?

Here's my system for playing the 2-chan CD's:
    Paradigm Monitor 11 v3 Mains
    Denon 3802
    Panasonic RP62 (DVD & CD Player) - AR Optical Interconnect
    Home Depot 12' Spkr wire w/ monster twist banana plugs

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

are you using an analog or a digital connection? When you pause the source using a digital connection, the 3802 will mute the output which is why you hear no hiss. Try setting the reciever to analog, pause the source, turn it up to -10, and check for the hiss.

3. Gary TP

Using analog I also get no hiss when the volume is full (aside from a normal less than 1-foot away hiss)- so the reciever should be fine as far as the amp is concerned...

Could the dvd, pre/pro, or speaker wire introduce the hiss while the music is playing?

4. Gary TP

Would a line conditioner help like a Monster Power 1000/2000?

5. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

6. Gary TP

Well the store I auditioned at was a sound proofed room and whisper quiet. Perhaps I am just being a bit more picky now that I own them.

I guess I could always give a line conditioner or noise canceller a shot if it will help lower the hiss from the tweeter...

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Gary: the stores system and your home system are very different.

First - disconnect your CATV cable from your system. Does the hiss go away? The CATV feed often injects noise into the electronics ground.

Second - try disconnecting all other sources to the receiver. Does the hiss go away? if so, re-connect each device and test to find which one is injecting noise.

Hope this helps.

8. Gary TP

The only thing I have connected is a brand new dvd player optically...
    The CATV and everything else is not run through the receiver

I wonder if I should just preorder the 3803 instead...those better DAC's should help correct?

G